Pre-School and Daycare
Options

advice on preschool cost..

So DD will be three at the end of August, and baby #2 is due July 31, so I really wanted to send DD to preschool for her to have her own thing going on rather than sitting home, cause I will most likely not be doing the same fun activites with her right away.   She loves learning and I know she will be ready.  My dilemma is I left work to be a SAHM, but I do now have 2 part time jobs so I help bring home some money  now, but the cost of the preschools are a lot higher than I expected.  I am leaning towards a program that is 263/mos for 2 days a week 2 1/2 hours.   For those of you on tight budgets how do you do it with the cost every month?  I know we can do it, but just having to make so many sacrifices is scary, but well worth it for her education.  Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: advice on preschool cost..

• Options
    It's a struggle for us, but we make it happen. We want to bump DS up to five days a week next year to prepare for kindergarten (he goes three right now) and that's going to be another challenge.  Look around at places...a lot offer deals and discounts.  DS's preschool gives you a discount if you pay for the full year up front rather than every month (which is what we ended doing because the difference was substantial).  Some schools also give discounts if you commit to helping in the classrooms and at school functions.  You might also look into state preschools that are free if you qualify. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was so so so shocked at the price of preschool.  It is not something I even thought about before I decided to be a SAHM.  I thought ours was high but what you are paying is crazy.  We will have both of our girls in next year and will cost us $300 a month.  It will stretch us but we know its only temporary.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Its so hard. I have twins and where i live, the cheapest 2's class is 8000$ a year (sept-june). Thats for 2 days a week 9-11. Its ridiculous!
  • Options
    Our preschool is really expensive too.  For next year, the 3's program, which is 4 days a week, 9 - 12, is $7,500.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    what about finding another stay at home who wants to make a little money watch your DD for you? Just an idea with some many people out of work, you could score a teacher who has her own little one and your DD would have a playmate and learn at the same time:) I wanted to add I watch a 2 year old that I have had since she was about 12 weeks old for 185.00 a week, that is M-F 7:15 am until 4:15 or later. That is about 37 a day or 740 a month. She cannot claim that tax credit (something you should also look into) but she was looking for a sitter or nanny who stayed home. I happen to work from home very little and was looking for a newborn who needed watching and loving one on one care that you just couldn't find in a daycare center. As she has grown, we do Gymboree music classes, go to the zoo and many other advantures as well is some learning.  I also don't charge her if they want to go out, (something you and hubby might need after baby number 2 gets here) or if she spends the night. I kind of told her that I am going to use those extra hours for when I want to go out and she can watch my baby:) However, I only leave my baby with a family member as she has some breathing issues. Just some ideas for you to think about:) Maybe helpful maybe not.
  • Options
    We have taken a good look at how we spend our money over time and we relook at it every so often.  We cut out a ton of extras like going out to eat as often, cutting down on cable (not getting rid of it, just a lower package) and some of the other extras that we had.  Honestly, it was nothing that I have missed or even noticed.  We shop less, buy new clothes/toys less. 
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"