Philadelphia Babies

Penn Hospital- birthing suite-OBGYN Midwifery?

Hello!

I tried searching to find posts about this practice and hospital but I only came up with one post so I thought I better write my own. I am strongly considering switching to the Penn OBGYN &Midwifery Care and would love to hear opinions on the practice. I am interested in delivering with a midwife and using one of the birthing suites at the hospital god willing if no other complications come up and I can do so.  Any experiences are welcome, thank you!

Re: Penn Hospital- birthing suite-OBGYN Midwifery?

• I am a patient at OBGYN Midwifery with Dr. Gearhart and think he is fabulous.  I haven't visited anyone else there but the office as a whole is very professional and nice.  The only down side is that like most other offices you have to wait a considerable amount of time to see the doctor (sometimes an hour or so before you are seen).  I haven't had my baby yet so I can't comment on the hospital or birthing suite but have heard great things from my friends who have delivered here.
  • I am also considering switching there, depending on information I get from my current practice. I had a friend deliver with them last February and she was very positive. It was my first choice, but my husband convinced me to start with a closer practice.  But i am doing more research and may switch. From what I've heard, they are a good practice, especially with midwives. I have also seen other posts here that are positive about the different docs there.
  • Loading the player...
  • WORST.PLACE.EVER. Do not go here.  The receptionists are extremely rude.  At the end of my pregnancy, when I needed to go every week, the receptionist would sigh and more than once, I couldn't be seen.  The waiting room is always packed.  I received four parking tickets while being "seen" at this office--usually for belly checks that take all of 4 mins.  

My birth story is even worse.  The midwife sent me home when I was bleeding and clearly in labor b/c I was only 2.5 cm.  I labored intensely at home with my husband for 4 hours and was scared to go back.  She never called to check in on me.  I went back and was 8 cm and nearly missed getting an epidural.  I ended up having to get a c-section due to a fever--and I couldn't push b/c I had been in labor for 36 hours at this point with no food/sleep.  She was extremely rude to me and talked to me like I was an idiot (Victoria Ferguson).  She did not come to see me or the baby after she called for a c-section. 

At my postpartum visit, I went for my appointment at 3:30 with a colicky baby and was not seen until 5:15.   

After giving birth, I was still bleeding at 12+ weeks PP.  I called for an appointment and the receptionist informed me that I couldn't be seen for a week.  The doctors were all on vacation.  I had to go to the ER--spend $100 and a full day there away from my son b/c they refused to see me.   

You can find other places to have a midwife birth, like Main Line Health.  I switched to Dr. David Ufberg and could not be happier.  Please look into other places first!!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"