Parenting
Options

18 months ans still having sleep issues....long!

Looking for some advice! I think I have read every sleep book out there. DS has never been a great sleeper. He is ready for bed between 7-8 and we have a very consistent bed time routine. He goes down no problem, but wakes up without fail at 530 am every day. This would be fine if he woke up in a good mood and appearing to have gotten enough sleep, but he wakes up screaming and it takes us awhile to calm him down.

We have tried letting him CIO back to sleep, it does not work. 2 hours later he is ready for a nap. We have tried not letting him nap so early, adjusting his bedtime, etc. All the trials have been for a good bit of time. He also though wakes up from most naps screaming and he just always appears tired.

I think its been effecting his overall development, he has been on the later side for things and I suspect its just because he is so tired. He als is very sensitive and is starting to get frusterated so easily at everything.

Once in a blue moon he will sleep in until 7, those days seem like I have a different child. He is receptive to his world around him, wakes up babbling and in a great mood and naps well. I just cannot figure out how to help him get enough sleep.

If you read all of this, thank you! Any advice is appreciated. We have discussed this in depth with our pedi, she has always hoped he would outgrow it, no luck yet!!!

Re: 18 months ans still having sleep issues....long!

• Options
    Wow for me that would be great!!  My almost two year old goes to bed at 8, wakes up about 3 times in the middle of the night and up for good by 5:30.  I am not even going to talk about dd.  Good luck..no advice here.
  • Options
    Have you tried putting him to bed earlier? Sounds counter-productive, but it works for a lot of people!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    NSLNSL member
    Have you tried putting him down earlier?
  • Options
    Have you tried giving him something to eat/drink at 5:30?  Have you tried bringing him into your bed for some extra snuggle time at 5:30?

Those are the only 2 things I can think of.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Does he have any books or things to entertain him in his crib? DS' seems like a full entertainment center, but I hear him wake aroung 6:30-7 and he will stay and play for a good 30-60 minutes after I hear him. He has a few small stuffed animals, some books, and the acquarium crib attachment and another one that projects onto the ceiling. And we leave his wiggles cd running through the night.  GL
  • Options
    i could have wrote this post myself. i would try putting him to bed earlier. try 630 - 7pm. i used to put dd to bed at 730 and she would wake at 5 am . about 3-4 weeks ago i started bedtime 615-630 and now she sleeps until 545 -6. not a big difference but i get another hour in the evening to myseld and an hour in the am. try it. it might work! gl! my dd is 18 mos old too.
    mila belle 3.26.07 and isla leighton 5.12.09 image mila belle aka mimi and belle and miss isla aka ileigh : ) pregnancy calendar
  • Options

Have you tried forcing him to 1 nap a day? It may be a rough transition but could help. DS also woke for the day at 5:30 AM every day and wakes form naps, etc. upset/seems tired, etc. Going to 1 nap a day helped the early rising - now he is consistent with a 6:30-7 AM wake up (goes down at 7:30 PM).

He is also a "spirited" kid and often has trouble with his nap wak-ups (very upset when he wakes, no matter how long or short). this has gotten better just in the past month, I think because almost all of his teeth are in now (he is a really sensitive teether)

Good luck! I know how much the 5:30 wake up sucks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"