Parenting
Options

so my friend is going to "unofficially" evaluate S's sppech.

my girlfriend is a speech pathologist who owns her own business. she is going to do an eval on S b/c of her lack of words. My friend thinks I am being silly and S's speech is fine. let's hope she's right.
Sisterly love--Sophia (1/14/07) and Baby Margaux (7/13/10) image Doctor in training! :)image

Re: so my friend is going to "unofficially" evaluate S's sppech.

• Options
    I am sure she is fine  M doesnt say a lot of words but he understands a ton, and jabbers all the time.
  • Options
    S understands a ton too and is always speaking what we call "sophia-ese". she just talks and talks but damned if I can understand her .....
    Sisterly love--Sophia (1/14/07) and Baby Margaux (7/13/10) image Doctor in training! :)image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am sure she is fine  too.  The range of what is "normal" at 18 months is so huge.  I think Noah's doctor asked if he had 5-15 words. 

Noah is a big talker, but a lot of it is still nonsense.  He will string one or two random words in a whole string of nonsense.  I started to worry yesterday when a little boy his exact age was speaking in phrases and almost engaging in conversation.  I had to remind myself they are both within the realm of "normal/typical". 

• Options

minna that's why i just asked my question as to when the average time conversations start, lol. my son is pretty good at 1 and 2 words...but he'll just jibber jabber on and on and i can only catch a few words...and i so wanna know what he's saying! we just make up our own interpretations...it's so funny!

i am sure she is fine...:)

• Options
    Oh, and Noah does that too.  Sometimes I will ask him what he said and he will repeat the same nonsense.  Obviously he knows what he is saying.  LOL
  • Options
    yeah M can tell us entire storys and we wont understand a single word. 
  • Options
    I had my DD evaluated at 21 months and she was found to be behind in her speech. We have her in an EIC program. (Early Intervention Center) It is geared to be like a preschool (only 4-5 kids) and she started the end of August. It is amazing what she has learned in just 1 month of being there. We have found that she learns better in a group setting than one on one. I've been trying to help her with signs, letters, words, and sounds but it wasn't until she saw the other kids doing it that she wanted to do it and try.
    imageimage
    107 Read/listened to in 2011: 91 Books/16 Audiobooks
    Read 2012: 33/50
  • Options
    I know from your posts that she's a very busy toddler! A lot of times they're just too busy learning other things to learn words. If you're worried, though, it doesn't hurt to have her evaluated.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"