Baby Showers

No kids a baby shower??

I am having a fairly large baby shower...about 120 guests total.  included in that 120 guests, which are mainly all immediate family will be a total of at least 20 - 25 kiddos all under that age of 7.  I currently run my own daycare from my home, and the parents of my daycare have been asking if I will be having a baby shower, I would like to invite them, but I would not like that many extra kids running around, 1 6month old, 3 - 1 yr olds, 2 - 2yrs old, 3 3year olds, and a 5 and six yr old, since the shower is at a formal place. 

Is there a way to invite my daycare parents and not the kiddos...if so how would you put it on the invite? Most say Adult only, but i want them to know that kids are invited, and by all means if they cant find a sitter i will not tell them that they cant bring them, but i was thinking something like immediate family children only...or something along those lines.....any suggestions would be great!! 

Thanks!

Re: No kids a baby shower??

• I think you need to decide either kids or no kids.  IMO it's rude to allow some kids but not others. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageJenniferk08:
    I think you need to decide either kids or no kids.  IMO it's rude to allow some kids but not others. 

I agree with this.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I totally understand what you are saying, and what you want- 

It's just not going to happen.  I agree with the other gals- either you have all kids or none at all.  It's just not nice, and there's no way to word it.

• For weddings I've seen "Respectfully request only children of immediate family attend"

HTH 

• I agree with the others.  Either all kids or no kids. 

On another note, your association with these parents are through their kids.  Kind of hard to invite those parents without their children.  Maybe a separate shower or just not invite them.  If they want to give you a gift they will when the baby is born.

• imagerhubarb123:

I agree with the others.  Either all kids or no kids. 

On another note, your association with these parents are through their kids.  Kind of hard to invite those parents without their children.  Maybe a separate shower or just not invite them.  If they want to give you a gift they will when the baby is born.

This is exactly what I was thinking. It's one thing to say no kids at all- that's fine.  But to allow some kids but not their kids when that is how you know them could really upset them.

And it's simply not necessary to invite every last person you know.  If they want to give a gift, they will regardless.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageEastCoastBride:

And it's simply not necessary to invite every last person you know.  If they want to give a gift, they will regardless.

This.  I teach preschool and didn't invite parents of my students.  Some of the parents found out when they were having a shower for me at work and I was completely taken aback to find gifts from them.  When we were talking later, I was thanking them and told them they really didn't have to do that and each of them responded the same general thing:  "I know I didn't have to, but (child) and I really wanted to get something for you and the baby".

People just don't seem to get this idea here, eh?  If someone wants to get something for you and/or the baby, they will get it regardless of actually having an official shower.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imageJenniferk08:
    I think you need to decide either kids or no kids.  IMO it's rude to allow some kids but not others. 

I totally agree. I'd be kind of annoyed if I was told no kids, and then came to the shower and found out that some other kids were allowed.

• I agree. You don't need to invite every single person you've ever known to your shower.  You're already having 120!!!!!  Wow! 

Honestly, as a guest that would be really tough for me to sit through.   Hours of watching you open gifts? Ugh. 

I personally think it's fine to invite just family kids to events like this.  But I've never been to a shower with children there.  It's usually just the women and no kids. 

• I don't think adding 10 more kids (if they ALL come) is a big deal when you already expect 20-25. All or none.
  • imageonislandtime:

imageJenniferk08:

I totally agree. I'd be kind of annoyed if I was told no kids, and then came to the shower and found out that some other kids were allowed.

Yes

2 girls and a dog
  • Agree with PP.  I think you would be burning bridges if parents that employ you show up and there are 25 kids at a shower where they were told not to bring their LOs.  Really what is another 6 kids at this point?  I was recently at a wedding where the invitation stated adults only and there were clearly children present.  No biggie to us, but some people were offended.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • i definately agree with all or none!  we went to a wedding reception that was for "immidate family only".  it ended up being about 12 of the most horribly behaved children i've ever seen in my life!  and most were ages 10-15!  i was soooooo angry, and i'm still bitter about it.  my children would have LOVED to have been with the rest of their cousins AND they would have acted way better!!!

i also wouldn't invite your daycare parents. 

• The original post makes it sound like you didn't plan on inviting any of them until they asked.  It may seem nice to include them (since you know they want to be included), but it's not nice to exclude their kids while inviting everyone else's.

If you don't want the kids there, don't invite the parents.  It's not rude to not invite people.  It is rude to put Adults Only for some of your guests and then have 25 kids running around. 

• I'm just curious if there's any way to split your shower into maybe two? Like PP have said 120 (without the extra people) is a lot of people and takes a lot of time. I only had about 25 at my shower and it still took forever to open gifts, your situation will take at least 5x as long as that. If you like your daycare parents and they want to come I don't see an issue with inviting them but I do see an issue with the size.
  • imageJenniferk08:

This

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"