Stay at Home Moms

xp: SAH vs WOH

DH and I are trying to determine if I can stay home after Baby#2 is born. Obviously, we would save money by not having 2 kids in daycare and some on gas since I wouldn't be commuting to work each day (but still need to run errands etc). We're pretty sure I still need to work PT and bring in some level of income - hoping for something 1-2 days a week in evening and 1 weekend day.

DH wants us to think of all the pros and cons of making this transition. Other than what I have named, what are other suggestions you have for the list?

Thanks!

(this is XP from Parenting)

Re: xp: SAH vs WOH

• If you have to dress up for work you won't need work clothes anymore. 

If you eat out for lunch that will be eliminated too.

If your income was putting you guys in a higher tax bracket, just being on one income may lower your income taxes resulting in a bigger return.
  • Not sure if you do this already, but I spend much more time planning my grocery budget now that I SAH instead of just randomly picking things up when I think of it.  I have lowered our grocery budget by around $150-$200 a month since SAH.
    Married 12.27.03

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • ditto the grocery shopping.
    when I worked FT I never felt like cooking and rarely did. We ordered in or went out at least 4 times a week.
    Now I meal play 6 meals every week (we end up eating out, ordering in or eating at one of our parents' house at least once). The I shop according to that plan. If its not on the list, I try not to buy it.
    I always shop sales as well, especially for diapers. I never buy them in the grocery store unless they are cheaper. I also stock up, so I know I wont have to run out at the last minute and pay more for them.

I also get my hair highlighted and cut much less now that I dont work, and I dont need to buy expensive shoes & clothing anymore.

The biggest PRO for me isnt financial,  being home with DS to see everything is so worth the monetary loss in income.

good luck with everything :)
  • Consider the pay cut you'll take when re-entering the workforce.  Some fields are fairly tolerant of long leaves of a year or longer.  In other fields - IT for example - you really can't come back as anything other than near entry-level if you've taken such a long break.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"