XP: Need decorating advice (toddler room) — The Bump
Nurseries and Baby Gear

XP: Need decorating advice (toddler room)

We just bought a new house and DDs new room has double chair railing.   There are two different moldings; about 4-5" above/below each other.  Sorry if I'm not explaining this well.  (I have a photo but don't know how to do a PIP).

Anyway, I'm stuck as to what to do with this room.  There's that awkward space in between the rails that I don't know what to do with.  I'm thinking my options are to:

A.  Paint the whole room one color (boooring) and maybe stencil something in that space??

B.  Paint the bottom one color, the middle a lighter version of the bottom color, and the top a different color.  (too busy?)

C.  Remove one of the railings and risk damaging the walls?  (I've never removed chair railing and don't know what effect it would have on the wall behind it)?

I'm racking my brain and want to figure out some paint colors so we can paint before we move in next weekend, but can't seem to figure out what to do.

Does anyone have double chair railing, or at least any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: XP: Need decorating advice (toddler room)

• First off, your siggy pic is adorable!

Can you tell if the molding is nailed on? You should see tiny nail holes, but they may be filled with wood putty. If you think they are nailed on, you may be able to remove one or both of them by gently prying it from the wall. You could try in a corner or behind the door to see if it works.

I think removing it sounds like a lot of work, and you don't know how well it will come off, so I would paint instead. I think your idea of 3 colors is a good one, but only as you suggest it (with the bottom 2 colors the same, but a different intensity), not in 3 different distinct colors, or it will be too busy.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • It might look cute to do the room one color and then the space in between do a darker color of the same shade.  Just another idea for you!
  • i've designed a room like this before... we painted a solid color up top, and used a pattern on the bottom section.  In between we stapled wooden hand painted shapes.  Check with your local Michaels, they usually have adorable cut outs...  the room we did was a hawaiian theme with sunglasses, and palm trees.  We spaced them out evenly and used colors that tied in both the top and bottom without making the room too busy.

I wouldn't suggest tearing down the chair rail...  it would probably appear too tall or too short... know what i mean?

good luck!

bfp #1 10/15/2009 m/c 11/4/09 10 weeks Lily you are not forgotten
    bfp #2 4/5/2010 CP, m/c 4/12/10 5 weeks Baby Lo
    Diagnosed PCOS 10/10 RX 1500 mg Metformin/day
    bfp#3 4/5/2011 Missed m/c discovered 5/24/2011 (10w 5d) baby Asher stopped growing at 6 weeks
    I know he is playing with his siblings in heaven right now...

rx'd factor II gene mutation 7/11 prescribed 5000 units Heparin daily
    rx'd Sjogren's Disease 8/11

bfp #4 9-6-2012 RAINBOW Baby Ky born 5-9-13
    bfp #5 8-26-14  RAINBOW #2 Due 5-8-2015

baby development
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards