Baby Names
Options

Is Rory to hard to pronounce? Thoughts?

Looking for a short, cute girls name... but is Rory to hard to pronounce?

Re: Is Rory to hard to pronounce? Thoughts?

• Options
    I think Rory is a cute name but I do find it awkward to pronounce sometimes.
  • Options
    i don't find it particularly hard to pronounce and it's a nice name :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's not hard for me to pronounce, but it's not fluid for most people. It's also not a girls' name.
  • Options
    I think it's an easy boy's name to pronounce.
  • Options
    Rory is a unisex name imho, nothing wrong with it for a girl.
  • Options
    My sister's name is Rory and I've never thought it was hard to pronounce, and she's never had an issue with it.  She loves it!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I was thinking of Rory on Gilmore Girls, never heard it used as a boy name, so thanks.

• Options
    I have issues with R's on a good day, but YES, very hard to say for me anyway.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemj.reilly:

imagestrangebird:
    It's not hard for me to pronounce, but it's not fluid for most people. It's also not a girls' name.

All of this.

RORY

Usage: Irish, Scottish

Pronounced: RAWR-ee  [key]

Anglicized form of RUAIDHR?

Popularity of the female name RoryYear of birthRank20099372008976

• Options
    imagemcwhittaker:
    imagemj.reilly:

imagestrangebird:

All of this.

RORY

Just because someone (or many someones) used a boys' name for their daughters does not, by itself, make a name unisex. I happen to know a grown woman named Benjamin and I'm sure she's not the only one--does that make Benjamin a girls' name? Absolutely not. Does it make it unisex? No, it doesn't.

Rory has very little history as a girls' name. It only hit the charts in 2003 (and most would say that "The Gilmore Girls" is to blame even for that). It fell off the charts again shortly after and is now barely making the top 1000. Meanwhile, it's been on the boys' chart since the early 1900s with nearly steady popularity.

For now, it's a boys' name, whether it's being given to girls or not. It wont be "unisex" until it's being used equally and for a sustained period of time for both genders.

• Options

I think it's easy to pronounce.  But then, it's my brothers name! Big Smile

We plan on using it as our future daughter's name as well.  I don't mind that it's usually a boy's name.  It means a lot to me to name her after my two brothers (middle name will be my other brother's middle name, Taylor).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mama to 5 angel babies, 1 rainbow baby, and 2 more angel babies. 
    My beautiful Ella/ToT arrived 10/10/12. 
  • Options
    imagestrangebird:
    imagemcwhittaker:
    imagemj.reilly:

imagestrangebird:

All of this.

RORY

Just because someone (or many someones) used a boys' name for their daughters does not, by itself, make a name unisex. I happen to know a grown woman named Benjamin and I'm sure she's not the only one--does that make Benjamin a girls' name? Absolutely not. Does it make it unisex? No, it doesn't.

Rory has very little history as a girls' name. It only hit the charts in 2003 (and most would say that "The Gilmore Girls" is to blame even for that). It fell off the charts again shortly after and is now barely making the top 1000. Meanwhile, it's been on the boys' chart since the early 1900s with nearly steady popularity.

For now, it's a boys' name, whether it's being given to girls or not. It wont be "unisex" until it's being used equally and for a sustained period of time for both genders.

Not to mention it is more popular for boys than girls regardless. I am so over the trend of taking boys names, particularly Irish/Scottish/Gaelic ones, and making them 'unisex'.

Saying that, I don't find it a hard name to say at all.

• Options

imagestrangebird:

All of this, especially the bolded. 

• Options

imagersquaredr:
    I think it's an easy boy's name to pronounce.

Yep.

• Options
    I like Rory and don't think it's dificult to pronounce.  I've also heard it used as a nickname for Aurora.  As for the boys' name/girls' name debate, what does it matter?!  If you (and husband) like a name and it's not going to cause your child daily embarrassment or frustration, then go with it.  
  • Options
    I don't think it's hard to pronounce, but I think of it more as a nn.
  • Options

I think's it's more of a boy's name. 

I don't think it's hard to pronounce for adults but your LO and her friends may not be able to pronounce it correctly until the 4th grade. 

• Options
    It's not necessarily hard, but it's kinda awkward. I'm not a fan.
  • Options
    I can't say that name at all...but then, I have a history of problems with Rs. I realize though that most people don't share my problem.
    The Fluffy Cat says... "Boxes are the best toys ever invented!"
  • Options
    It is my #1 LEAST favorite name of all time!   I'd seriously name my kid Buford before I would name them Rory.    It sounds like there are marshmallows stuck in your mouth, or you have a speech problem.  (sorry... but thats my honest opinion)
  • Options
    I've heard it being used as a nn for Aurora before, so I think it could be feminine.
  • Options

Hard to pronounce if you have a lisp, lol. The majority of the population should be ok.

I know a girl named Rory and I actually like the name. It's not overused like Charlotte, Grace, Audrey, Catherine, Elizabeth, etc.

Steer away from any other "r" sounds in the name though or it may be too much. For example, Rory Rowan ____, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My friend has a daughter named Aurora that goes by Rory.  I like it and don't find it particularly difficult to pronounce.
  • Options
    imageKiss&Makeup:

I was thinking of Rory on Gilmore Girls, never heard it used as a boy name, so thanks.

This. I love this name for a girl. I also love Gilmore Girls (lol)  I would never use this name for a boy. But then again- I like boys names for girls, too... heheWink

Me: 30 DH: 30
    DD1: 8 (6/11/07)  DD2: 5 (6/15/10)
    BFP 10/13/2014 ... Natural M/C 10/25/14
    BFP...11/25/14! Grow Baby Grow! :)
    *our 3rd and our last*
    Repeat C/S scheduled for 7/29/15
  • Options

imagemcwhittaker:
    Rory is a unisex name imho, nothing wrong with it for a girl.

Same my LO's nickname will be Rory.

• Options
    It may not have originated as a girls name, but I personally would never name a boy Rory nowadays because it, to me, has become girly.
  • Options

It sounds awkward to me. It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I think there are better short girl name options out there.

• Options
    I love Rory, but not for a girl.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

my bro is Rory...most of the time I call him "Ror"

BTW it means RED KING...not feminine by any stretch.

• Options
    I would recommend using it as a nn only.
  • Options

Not hard to pronounce.

Fine as a girl's name.

Fine as a stand-alone name, rather than as a nickname.

It's cute.  Yes

• Options
    I love Rory, and think it is easy to say.  I can see where some might have troubles with it though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"