Babies on the Brain

Eyedrops 4 times a day says the pediatrician

Clearly she wants me to die a slow and painful death.  I only have to put one drop in each of Nathan's eyes each time, and it takes us almost 20 minutes to get it done.  Nothing works, except sheer physical strength and trickery. 

I even tried the trick of putting a drop in the corner of his eye while it was closed so it would fall nicely in when he opened his eye.  He kept his eye closed for 4 minutes, until he finally caught me off guard enough to be able to turn his head to the side (that I was holding still while he was straight jacketed into a blanket) and let the drop slide off.  

Short of sitting on him and prying his eye open with a crowbar, I'm out of tricks.  9 more days of this.  OMG.   

Re: Eyedrops 4 times a day says the pediatrician

• Oh man! That sucks. I am sorry, I have no tricks. But I hope it gets better.
    Diagnosed with Chronic Lyme Disease 2009, Finished treatment August 12. BFP 11/12. BabyFruit Ticker
  • ugh. I'm sorry. 

My only advice is what you already said - sheer strength. I wrap kids up in a sheet with their arms by their sides in a "papoose" lean on their chest and pry their eyes open. I just make sure my hands are clean so I can get a really good grip. I'm a mean nurse, but I get it done. It's hard to do it alone - you are a Wonder Woman!

Wish I could help!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • You know I love you and the Duo so I feel totally safe telling you that I cracked up reading this post. That and I'm really sorry that he's so sick & that you have to wrestle him for eye drops.
    TTC #1 - Cycle 29 - BFP!! 03/05/10
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Blog BFP Chart Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageRachelG83:
    You know I love you and the Duo so I feel totally safe telling you that I cracked up reading this post. That and I'm really sorry that he's so sick & that you have to wrestle him for eye drops.

I think it's pretty funny myself when I'm not actually in the process of wrestling him.  He's a stubborn little guy.  And he's doing SO much better than yesterday.  His eyes are still a little puffy and oozing a bit here and there, and the skin underneath is red from him rubbing, but other than that he almost looks like a human being again and not a bright red version of the swamp thing. 

• My trick from working in daycare:

Lay him on his back.  Since N is bigger, lay him with his head toward your crotch (sounds wierd, but hang with me...).  Put your legs on top of his arms so he can't roll and he can't move his head from side to side much.  Then do the eyedrops.

It leaves both of your hands free and most of the time the kid doesn't feel as pinned down so it is less of a WWF wrestling match.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"