Health & Exercise

the junk at mainstream b-day parties....

omg I knew this day was coming. I have been a "health nut" on my son's behalf since day one and part of my thought process is that I can control this now while he doesn't know what else (junk) is out there. but going to b-day parties is going to start getting tricky when all the other kids are getting "treats" and he can't have them. It's been okay for now but he's getting a bit older and plus I feel like everyone thinks I'm crazy for "depriving" him. But I did relax this last weekend - he had the cupcake (all kids got a cupcake instead of slice of cake) with the frosting. I let him have a popsicle (without me insisting on reading the nutrition facts on box) but I drew the line with a loli-pop - is that a choking hazard until what age? It was the little small round kind...

Anyway... I'm hoping this board gets some more nutrition activity because it's near and dear to my heart but I still have a LOT to learn!! and i need a place to vent when i feel like the only mom not feeding her toddler a ton of junk.

Re: the junk at mainstream b-day parties....

• I let my 2.5 yo have lollipops sometimes.  You didn't mention how old your DS is.  I am not one to usually let DD have cake, candy, etc.  WE moved near MIL 8 months ago and I have relaxed since we moved.  Some M&M's won't kill her.  I am pretty anal about juice and popscicles though - I would prefer 100% juice and juice pops.  :o)
  • Boy is your son going to REBEL when he is old enough to make his own food decisions. GL with that, though.
    2 girls and a dog
  • Loading the player...
  • ah ha... i found your post. thanks for the warning. i'll take my chances and control my son's junk food intake while he's young and doens't know the difference.

you obviously missed the point of my post. i somehow didn't do a good job of making myself clear. oh well.
  • I find myself appalled at the crap I see parents feeding their kids on a regular basis.  Still, I think you seem a little overboard.  I think if you kick the white flour and HFCS to the curb and he's getting his dairy and fruits and veggies 99% of the time (and almost no processed crap) that it is really no big deal for him to have a cupcake or ice cream now and then. 

Hands down I think erring on the side of all nutrition all the time over hotdogs and mac and cheese as staples is the better way to go, but I think every kid should have treats. 

jailbirds Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am the farthest from a health nut but I've always watched what my kids ate. I let them have cake and ice cream at birthday parties and such but I try to substitute candy for dried fruit, or fruit chews, and on some occasion gummy bears. I may be ignorant but they seem to have a lot less sugar in them. My efforts have paid off so far. They're 3 and 5 and don't have much of a sweet tooth at all. I never have to hear them ask for candy while were at the store too which is a plus. Instead of junk food and snacks they ask for their favorites, strawberries, blueberries, apples, or oranges. I have to say, I feel proud! :0) It's a great idea to start young and create a palate for healthy foods.
  • i think it is great that you are focused on giving your son the healthiest start possible and i applaud you mama! :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"