North Dakota Babies

My next trip...

My aunt commented on one of my FB photos from my Chicago trip, and it made me realize that I can, and probably should, go visit my Yankee family.  Therefore, Blair, Briley, and I are planning a trip this spring.  I am in the early planning stages and I wanted to get some thoughts, plus I definitely want to work a GTG or two in there.  I was planning on taking a week and I have family outside Philly, Wilmington DE, and in NJ, and I wanted to stop by NYC as well.  The ones in PA and DE work so I will probably need to be there on the weekend, but I was thinking DH might want to do a night out in NYC also... but I guess we can probably find some nightlife during the week there as well.  The family in NJ is retired.  I was planning on renting a car, but not taking it into NYC... maybe catching a train to the city and taking public transport there?  I found a deal on a hotel in Midtown Manhattan but the parking was $55/night... OMG is that normal?  Thoughts on where to stay in NYC?  I was thinking if we wanted to do a night out, we would want a babysitter, and maybe Cris would know one (and maybe she would want to go out with us...) so maybe we should stay closer to her?  I know there are others in NYC but I don't know where specifically.  I was thinking of either flying into Newark or Philly, and probably going to go in March.  Will it be freezing cold then?  The closer to summer we get, the busier DHs work is.  Any other suggestions of things we should check out besides visiting family?  TIA ladies!

Re: My next trip...

• As for the parking price, unfortunately, that sounds normal.  NYC is more expensive than Philly and hotels here charge around $40 a night for parking.  My building that I work in charges $22 a day for people that work here to park for the day!

When I go to NYC I take the train up.  There is an Amtrak that is pricier and then there is the option to take Septa (PA rail line) to NJ Transit line which is cheaper, but you have to change trains (even though they are on the same platform) and it is a longer ride.

As for the weather, it's hit or miss in March.  We have been known to have several feet of snow in March, but I can also recall going out for St. Patty's day in flip flops a couple of years ago.  March is seriously a wild card.  Feb is always freezing and April always nice.

On another note, I would love to try to meet up while you are out here (whether in NYC or the Philly area.) 

• Wish I lived closer to come for a GTG! I don't know anything about NYC but have fun planning the trip :)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker ashley jordan est. 06.07.08 | siesta key, fl
  • Loading the player...
  • If you are wanting touristy stuff I would rec going up the empire state building at night.  I've been both during the day and at night. and the night view is much prettier IMO.  I also thought the tour of NBC studio's was cool.  We got to see SNL, Conan, and a news one when we went. but I understand that it changes periodically.  Also in regards to nightlife, yea that happens every night of the week.  Also if you want to go out to eat around the broadway area, go eat when the shows are going on.  It's dead. Suprised the hell out of me when we walked up at 7:30 and got right in at two really nice places.  If you like steak,  we loved https://www.gallaghersnysteakhouse.com/. We went there several times when we lived up there.  If you want to go see the statue of liberty, go see if from the Jersey side. I understand that side has a much less wait time to board.  Everytime we tried to board on the NY side the wait was ridic so we never made it.  But if you do go to battery park. stay away from the card dealers.  I promise you...you aren't going to keep that $40 you are betting.  Just ask my husband. (I could of killed him Angry)  That's all I can think of right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"