Preemies
Options

Waking Q- long

Just wondering if any of you ladies had this issue...

DS has been sleeping through the night lately (great for us, I know!), but this means he has only been eating 4-5 times during the day b/c his naps are around 3 hours at a time (only awake for 1-2 hours at a time).  I saw pedi yesterday and he said that although he would like to see him eat more often, as long as he is gaining weight then this is fine.  He was 8.7 23 days ago, and is now 10.4, so I know he is gaining well, but would you wake him so that he eats every 4 hours instead of every 5?  I mean, he was pretty much waking up just now, but DH helped him along.  I know to never wake a sleeping baby, but this just seems cruel having him only eat 4 times a day (and he is BF so no clue how much he's getting). I only pump out 3 ounces every three hours...

Thanks!

Re: Waking Q- long

• Options

My pedi says not to go longer than 5 hours. Although shes on demand and usualy does every 3 hours during the day and about 4-5 at night.

She still may be used to the every 3 hours the NICU did (shes only been home a little over a week) ao I am hoping she starts STTN soon!

• Options
    just my two cents... if he was hungry, he'd be waking up in the middle of the night to eat.  I wouldn't wake a sleeping & growing baby. :) Sounds like he's gaining weight very well & getting lots of milk.

good luck
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto pp...he'll let you know when he needs to eat. I wouldn't wake a sleeping baby because I think sleep important for their growth as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I wouldn't wake. If he was hungry he would wake up to eat. DD started STTN around your DS's age. She did get 5 bottles a day during that time, but now is down to 4. I was able to track since she was FF.

Considering that he is BF and growing pretty well, I wouldn't worry about it. You can always go into the pedi's office for a weight check just to make sure he is on track.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Katie: 1/16/08 2lbs. 15oz.
    Abby & Emily: 12/31/10 6lbs. 2oz. & 5lbs. 7oz.
  • Options

I agree with pp--if he's gaining don't wake him at night.  If you do want to try and work in another feeding, I'd do it during the day and not mess with his night sleeping.  GL!

Kim

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"