Birth Stories

unexpectedly unmedicated birth @ 36 wks

I had my 36wk ob appt that morning at 8:30 and was dilated to 1. My Ob said that baby looked pretty cozy in there and to go ahead and travel for Christmas.

I then went to work and at 10:30 I grabbed some breakfast and went to sit down in my office chair when a huge gush soaked the chair, my pants, and pretty much everything. I freaked out. Seriously I had SO much to do at work that day and hadn't finished assigning my tasks for maternity leave.

I told my admin assistant I was leaving, walked two blocks to my car, and headed to the hospital. Meanwhile I called my DH but couldn't get a hold of him. The contractions started right away and I was told that I'd probably deliver around dinner time. I was determined to tough out the contractions until I really needed the epidural so I spent some time in pretty good pain thinking my DH would call back at any time and he'd help me through.

At 1:45 I buzzed the nurse. I was out of my mind in pain and felt like maybe I needed to push. They called the anesthesiologist for the epidural and did a quick check to see how far I was. Oops! The next thing I know the nurse has really big eyes and says, "uhhh she has hair! Honey I'm so very sorry but you can't have the epidural. You're too far." All I could think of was holy moly this is going to hurt and where the heck is my husband? Seriously I went from 1cm to fully dilated and effaced in a matter of 4 hours.

So, at 2:35 Katen Elisabeth was born med free. She was 5lbs and 10 oz. I held her briefly and then she was taken to the NICU and put on oxygen and IV due to fluid in her lungs which lead to infection. DH finally arrived at 3:15. He'd taken his team out for a Christmas lunch and had left his cell phone at work. No big deal though. I'm glad he got his lunch in because it's really hard for him to see me in pain and he'd probably have been traumatized.  :) Plus you can't blame him for not expecting an "I'm in labor" call at 36 weeks pregnant.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: unexpectedly unmedicated birth @ 36 wks

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"