Birth Stories

Madeline Ann's Birth Story

Madeline Ann?s Birth Story


We arrived at the hospital for my scheduled induction on March 6 at 7:30 pm since I was overdue.  I was supposed to have misoprostil and sleep the night and then start pitocin in the morning.  We checked in, were shown to our birth suite and I was hooked up to the monitors.  At about 8:30 they checked me and found I was 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced and having contractions.  The resident called my dr. and they both agreed that the work the misoprostil would have done was already done and that I would need to start pitocin instead.  This was definitely not my plan since I had not slept and was planning to sleep at the hospital that night.  I got the IV- which was not bad at all- and we started pitocin at 12:30 am and by about 4:30 the contractions were starting to pick up.  At that point they felt just like cramps and were not very painful.  At 7:30 am I felt a pop and thought the baby had punched me in the cervix.  I told my husband about it and about 15 seconds later fluid started gushing out.  I called the nurse and they confirmed my water had broken.  This was a surprise because I thought they?d definitely have to break it for me.  After that the contractions became more painful and were closer together.  I also had a lot of back pain and they said that the baby was sunny side up.  Lying in bed became intolerable so the nurse brought me a yoga ball to sit on.  Sitting on the ball relieved a lot of the pain of the contractions and I was able to breathe through them for 3 more hours.  By 11 the contractions were getting very painful and I wanted to be checked and was praying to be 4 cm so I could get the epidural. Unfortunately I was only 3 cm but right after I was checked my dr. arrived and said that I could have it anyway.  I love her!  My dr. had to go to a conference so she let me know the dr. that would deliver my baby would stop by during lunch.  This dr. made me laugh- she rode her bike over from the clinic (it was about 15 degrees outside) in her wind pants with her skirt hiked up around her waist. J  She also had a great German accent.  She introduced herself, hung out with me for a while and then left to go back to the clinic. Getting the epidural was not as bad as I expected, just a sting from the shot to numb the area and then a lot of pressure.  The anesthesiologist was very fast but it still took two contractions to get it in- ouch!  The epidural was fabulous- I was going to see how long I could go without it in the hopes that maybe I wouldn?t need it but that went out the window and I?m glad it did.  I was able to relax and rest since I had had only a couple hours of sleep the night before.  Right after they administered the epidural the nurse checked me and I was 6 cm which made me very happy.  About an hour later they checked me again and I was 9 cm and before long I was 9.5 cm.  At one point the nurse asked me to roll over onto my right side since I had been lying on my left for a while.  When I rolled over they could no longer get the baby?s heartbeat to register on the monitor.  She had me flip back over to my left side while calling for help.  Before I knew it I was on my hands and knees and they still could not find a heartbeat and no one was coming to help.  The nurse pulled out the plugs on the some machines to set off all the alarms and finally a couple nurses came to help.  They were calling for the resident and the back up dr. but they were in a c-section with twins.  This was all very stressful but I just stayed calm and prayed for my little one.  They put me on oxygen and finally found a weak heartbeat.  It quickly went back up and the drs. came but no one could figure out what had happened.  They thought maybe she just compressed her cord.  Finally they put in an internal scalp monitor to more closely monitor her heart tones- which I was against in my birth plan, but was fine with when the situation arose.  They let me labor down for about an hour longer- called the dr. back on her bike from the clinic with a first year med student in tow excited to witness her first birth- and after an hour of pushing Madeline Ann was born at 4:38 pm on March 7.  She was 7 lbs. and 9 ounces and they put her right on my chest when she came out.  I could not believe how overcome with emotion I was at that moment- the greatest moment of my life.  However, they quickly took her away when she did not cry and was just grunting instead of breathing.  She got an apgar of 4 at one minute so they brought in the neonatologist and she received an 8 and a 9 on her subsequent ratings.  She is perfect and we are all doing well!

My advice to everyone- be flexible, stay calm and enjoy the experience.  The birth of our baby girl was the most wonderful and amazing moment of our lives.

Re: Madeline Ann's Birth Story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards