Jaxon's birth story — The Bump
Birth Stories

Jaxon's birth story

Before giving birth everyone told me I'd know the difference between real and fake contractions and I'd just KNOW when I was in labor.  Neither were true.  I woke up on Thursday April 24th to go to the bathroom around 2:40 am.  While wiping, I noticed it felt a little mucousy.  I turned on the light to check what's what and there was a ton of mucous (sorry if TMI) and it was pink tinged.  I FREAKED out.  I have no idea why.  I just had no idea if it was the mucous plug or what.  I calmed down a bit, figured it was a mucous plug and tried to go back to bed.  20 minutes later, I really had to pee again and when I checked this time there was more mucous, this time red.  I started to feel some cramping.  It was a bit more intense than usual.  For the next 30 minutes I tried re-reading all the pregnancy books, my doctor's instructions etc on when to call/go into the hospital.  My contractions (and they still felt like really bad cramping) were coming every 3 minutes for 30 seconds.  After about a half hour of trying to figure out what the heck was going on, I woke DH up and we went to the hospital, convinced we would be sent back home and told this was not the real thing.  Once in the car, the contractions were INTENSE.  I've had a few surgeries for various injuries and have a pretty high threshold for pain, and these were knocking my socks off.  We got to the hospital, they checked me in at 3cm and I forget how much I was effaced. They told me this was indeed the real thing and I wasn't going anywhere (at this point I am SHOCKED I AM IN LABOR).   They took my BP next and it was OFF THE CHARTS.  It took about 90 minutes for me to bring it down and for the anesthesiologist to hook up my epi. Waiting for the epi was very painful.  I kept thinking about all the women who have decided to go unmedicated.  I have the utmost respect for you and I have no idea how you do it.  I tried my hypnobirthing and calming practices and I couldn't get focused enough to block out the pain.  Once the epi was in (not painful at all), life was good. My doctor broke my water (not painful either) in the early afternoon and I was progressing nicely (with a small amount of pitocin helping me along).  Around 3pm I started feeling intense pressure around my rectal area.  That was normal I was told.  15 minutes later, the pain was unreal down there.  The nurses checked and found I had an anterior lip...basically a part of my cervix that covered a bit of the babies head was still in place and would make pushing very difficult.  They upped my epi to help with the pain since it didn't seem like I'd give birth anytime soon, and I waited for the baby to push on past the lip.  At this point, my temperature started rising and by 4:30pm I had an extremely high temp and my BP was rising again.  The baby, who hadn't experienced any duress during labor, started going into duress during my contractions.  Since my lip hadn't gone away, and my fever was getting pretty bad, they decided to do an emergency c-section.  All I really remember about the C was that it wasn't painful, I couldn't even feel the tugging.  I wasn't nervous for it...actually was glad that it was happening because I really wanted labor to end.  Jaxon was born around 5:30pm weighing in at 8lbs 4 ounces.  During delivery they believe he breathed in a good amount of amniotic fluid (not unusual for a c section baby I'm told).  Anyway, since I had developed an infection they believe it might have been passed to Jax.  He's been receiving antibiotics in the NICU and has been doing great.  He comes home tomorrow. 
I've always thought I've done a lot of cool things and had some amazing experiences in my life.  Giving birth to my son however has been better than anything I've ever done, seen, read or heard and I'd do it again tomorrow. Hopefully, with a very strong epi. 

Re: Jaxon's birth story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards