Birth Stories

Zachary David - 4 weeks early!

So I was sitting at work 36 weeks pregnant on the Friday before Easter weekend.  I had felt like crap all week and was starting to think that I was loosing my bladder function b/c everytime I got out of my chair, my pants felt damp.  I posted wondering if maybe my water could be breaking, and finally decided to call my doctor.  Of course the office was closed (holiday weekend), so I went home, cooked dinner for the family, watched a movie, and went to bed.  About 3 am, I was convinced that my water was breaking.  It was coming out in small bursts as it did when I went into labor with DD, but I was tired from working all week and I wasn't contracting so I put a pad on and went back to bed.  

I went into L & D about 9:30 the next morning, still leaking water, still no contractions.   My husband and I sat there for a full hour shaking our heads b/c we didn't have anything ready.  No nursery, no diapers, and no name.  They started me on fluids and antibiotics as a precaution (b/c I hadn't had my UB strep test yet) and waited for the doctor.  Still no contractions, the nurse did an internal exam (my first ever of the entire pregnancy) and found that I was already 5 cm.  Still no contractions, The doctor showed up about noon and started me on pitocin.  Finally, I started contracting.  I got my epidural and progressed to full dialation by 4 pm.  I pushed twice and he was out.  They laid him on my chest and he just looked at me as I bawled my eyes out. 

4 solid weeks early, no complications and a healthy 5 lbs 2 oz and 18 1/2 " long. 

I nursed him in the delivery room and he didn't have any problems latching on.  For future moms planning to BF, I can't stress how important it is to at least try right away. 

Also, I think I learned a secret to successful pushing.  throughout my pregnancy, I would do "clenching" exercises.  Knowing that they expect you to push for 10 seconds with out taking a breath, I would tighten my lower abdominal and pelvic muscles and hold it for 10 seconds.  I'd do this in the car or while sitting at my desk, pretty much anytime I got nervous about the delivery.  after awhile, you can feel that the muscles are stronger.  Also, knowing where these muscles are located helps you concentrate on bearing down while pushing. 

I feel like it helped me and hopefully it helps you!

Re: Zachary David - 4 weeks early!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"