Birth Stories

MY BIRTH STORY: OUR FIRST BABY!

Carson Reed was born 8/30/07 8lbs 1 ounce, 21.5 inches long.  He was a 9.9 on the apgars test.
I was 40 weeks preggers when I went in for my last ob check on Monday.  I was due Wednesday.  I was 4 cm dialated and 80% effaced and his head was at zero station.  I had been working full time like this for 5 weeks.  This child was hanging between my knees!  I thought I was going to be pregnant forever. He was literally just hanging out.  I really wanted to go into labor naturally because I thought it would be exciting this was our first baby.  But my doc could tell that I was done with it so he said "I bet you will not make it to Thursday, but if you do come in to the hospital and I will break your water and we will go from there"  I really did not want pit.  But he was sure I would go on my own before then.  Sure enough Thursday came and at 8 am we were at the hospital for our scheduled induction.  When the nurse checked me she said "I can't believe you have not had this baby yet!"  I was so sick of hearing that I could puke.  So the doc broke my water at 10:20 am, I got my epidural at 11:20 and started to push at 2pm and Carson popped out at 2:41pm.  Everything went so fast that I did not have time to stretch down there so I had a 3rd degree tear...eeww!  I was so nausated and shakey for a week.  I had the worst hemmoriods ever.  I had to sit on a donut for 2 weeks.  Carson is the love of our lives.  We live everyday just for him.  He is 9 months old now and a growing healthy baby boy: 23.8 lbs, 29.5 inches!  We love him so much=-)

Re: MY BIRTH STORY: OUR FIRST BABY!

• Congradulations! I'm curious why you were induced so early? Full gestation is 42 weeks. I'm confused why everyone gets induced so early.
  • I thought full gestation was 38 weeks and they tack on an extra 2 weeks (40 weeks) to all pregnancy cycles b/c not everyone knows the exact date they conceive.  I thought at 38 weeks the baby is fully developed (lungs and all).  I was tired of being pregnant and I was sooooo far along.  The doc could feel his head on my first exam at 35 weeks.  I was starting to reach the feeling of "OMG, I am going to be pregnant the rest of my life."  I also was comfortable with the fact that my ob was not going to use any pit to get me going just break my water.  I suppose, had I waited it would have been more exciting and funny to see DH's reaction.  I say that b/c two weeks before my due date I thought I was having a slow leak of water so I causally called DH when he was tossing football one morning with a friend and said, " I am going to the hospital to get checked and be sure I don't have a slow leak.  Don't worry I will call if you need to come"  He said, "WHAT??"  Needless to say he met me at the hospital and I was leaking nothing but normal fluid. But it was funny because he was on edge for two weeks straight.  Any move I made he jumped.  All and all I was happy with how it went.  My hardest part was dealing with the aftermath of being nauseated and shakey with the hemmoroids.

• Loading the player...
  • Congrats! He is going to be quite the heartbreaker!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"