August 2011 Moms
Options

U/S tech didn't say a word, nervous

So I had my 2nd u/s today. I had previously had some spotting so I had a previous u/s a 5 weeks - they were able to see the sac & yolk sac. Today's u/s was to reassess things (I haven't had anymore spotting & never had cramping)

During the entire 30 minute u/s the tech did not say a word besides telling me to hold my breath a couple of times. After the u/s I asked her about the HB & she said she couldn't say either way but she suggested that I call my doctor 1st thing in the AM for the results - what the heck does that mean?!! It automatically makes me think the worst. I think I saw the baby... & she did measure a HB (mine or baby's I am not sure?!) I am thinking she was just checking my blood flow.

I understand that they would not like to be the one to give bad news but I hate this waiting part!

Re: U/S tech didn't say a word, nervous

• Options
    To be honest. I would have demanded to know what she say. Im always asking questions when I have u/s done. In the past when we were going through a cycle and we had mid cycle scans I was full of questions. What is that? Is that normal? Is it good? Should I be worried? etc. I would complain to someone that I was not given any information and that if the RN who did the u/s was unsure of the results then she should not be performing them at all! IMO..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think that u/s techs--maybe not all, but at a lot of offices--aren't allowed to tell you anything about what they are seeing. Only dr's can. So chin up, might not be bad news :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagemegd06:
    I think that u/s techs--maybe not all, but at a lot of offices--aren't allowed to tell you anything about what they are seeing. Only dr's can. So chin up, might not be bad news :)

Yes, this is completely the case!  I'm sure it wasn't at all that she couldn't interpret or didn't know what she was doing, or even that it's bad news at all.  A couple years ago, I had an ultrasound for non-pregnancy reasons.  She couldn't/wouldn't tell me anything at all, but told me to call the doc.  I freaked out and called the next day.  Everything was fine; she just hadn't been allowed to tell me anything legally.

Hope it all goes well tomorrow!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagemegd06:

This is what I was thinking, that they wanted a doctor to review it because of your spotting before.  If it were something really serious I don't think she would have let you just go home. 

• Options
    I agree with what others have said, I don't think the techs are often "allowed" to tell you exactly what they find - good or bad. GL tomorrow and hopefully it's all good news! 
  • Options
    imageces25c:

imagemegd06:

This is what I was thinking, that they wanted a doctor to review it because of your spotting before.  If it were something really serious I don't think she would have let you just go home. 

My first u/s the tech said nothing until the end, when we got *really* bad news. HOWEVER, at that point, she told me as much as she possibly could & we were sent straight to the ER after she called my doc. So I'm pretty sure the silence had a lot more to do with her confirming everything and not wanting me to lose it before she completed the u/s. With the u/s I had this time, the techs have talked me through everything- so my offices clearly don't have a 'must ask the doctor only' rule. 

I wouldn't be too worried though- I've heard of a lot of offices that make you ask the doctor. I'd also think if something was wrong, they'd probably call your on-call doctor and tell you what to do from there. Call in the AM,  but I wouldn't be too worried at this point. :) 

• Options

imagemegd06:

this exactly, I know this is the policy at my office.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the positive feedback ladies - you have eased my anxiety a bit! I was just hoping for a little smile or something from the tech ;)
  • Options
    Like the PP said. Some U/s techs are legally bound to keeping their mouths shut. When i had a m/c in 09 we found out at the U/s. the tech couldn't tell us anything but she got the radiologist to come in to tell us what was going on. If there was anything serious then I think they would have had someone come in with the authority to tell you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had a u/s today and the tech told me couldn't tell me anything.  She did let me see the baby and heartbeat,but that was all!  Breathe and talk to your doctor in the AM!  T&P for peace and rest!
  • Options
    My mom is an ultrasound tech and she says that's the worst part of her job.  They are NOT ALLOWED to diagnose.  They are not doctors and your ultrasound has to be read by your doctor or a radiologist before you can get a diagnosis of anything that might be happening.  Don't badger or demand answers from the ultrasound tech, their job is already hard enough because they know what you are going through.  Its a diagnostic test just like getting your blood drawn, getting an x-ray, etc.  You wouldn't demand the x-ray tech to tell you what your x-ray said, you wait for the doctor to fill you in.
  • Options

One of my BM's is an ultrasound tech and she says the same thing--they are not allowed to say anything--which can be unsettling.  Hopefully when you hear from the doc this morning everything will be fine--let us know how it goes!

• Options
    I know waiting is the worst and our minds always go to the negative. Let us know what the doctor says this morning. I am sure everything is fine. Hang in there.
    Proud Mom to Eily 12/16/2005 BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options

I was told by my Dr. in with our first pregnancy that they can't say anything as far as a normal scan, this, that or the next thing due to liabilites. 

I went into our scan expecting nothing but to maybe see our baby but not to know any of the details. 

My OB's office called the very next day with results! 

• Options

My office must be completely different. Our techs have all been pretty chatty showing us what things mean (this is your cervix, it's long and closed) Here is the babys heart rate - nice and strong. Here is the spine, foot, etc. This little pocket here is a subchorionic hematoma and going into what that means.

The only time they didn't is when I had my miscarraige but I already knew I was having one when I went in - the tech was still great giving me a full 'tour' of my uterus.

I guess I would rather know or have the tech say  - I'm not allowed to talk to you going right in than sit in silence. If I knew it was a policy than I would be more than okay with them not saying anything.

• Options
    imagepoppy33:

I guess I would rather know or have the tech say  - I'm not allowed to talk to you going right in than sit in silence. If I knew it was a policy than I would be more than okay with them not saying anything.

This!  I've experienced both situations, but the one where the tech was not allowed to say anything, she explained that before she started - said not to worry that she wasn't saying anything, but she was not permitted to give us any results.  Just b/c they aren't allowed to diagnose, doesn't mean they aren't allowed to make you feel relaxed!

imageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimage
  • Options

That is nuts that you didn't see the Dr. right after your US!!!! I would have been upset too. I do know that technically the tech can't say anything it really is the dr. who says stuff to you ... but I am surprised the dr didn't talk to you

Fingers crossed that all is well

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"