Nurseries and Baby Gear

Crib bedding sets: a waste of money?

Did you think a crib bedding set (matching quilt, sheet, dust ruffle, bumper, etc) was a waste of money? It seems like the only things that would get used are the sheet and the dust ruffle? Thoughts?

Re: Crib bedding sets: a waste of money?

• They're definately a luxury versus a neccesity but I wouldn't call them a waste of money myself. The blanket is useful once the baby gets older (todlers always have a blanky) and I also plan to use it when I'm nursing in the rocker (especially at night) or reading to him. The bumpers I won't use because Health Canada says they're dangerous, but my mom is helping me make them into a chair pad for my rocking chair (I've also heard of people using them as a valance or a border in a room).
  • Yes, if you only plan on using the dust ruffle and crib sheet. Some people still choose to use the bumpers and the quilts can be used on the floor for tummy time.
    Dating 7/25/03 Engaged 7/25/07 Married 11/10/09 L 3/11/11
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Married Bio

• Loading the player...
  • total waste of money.

I plan to follow safety recommendations, which means no bumpers and no quilt until age 1. We just bought some sheets and are spending our money on things that aren't hazards.

• I think so. We are buying sheets and making a crib skirt and window valance to match. And believe me, I am no Martha Stewart. I am bringing our theme (jungle) into the room with a large wall decal and other various wall hangings. If you had a bed set you loved you could hang the quilt on the wall and make the bumpers into a window valence. I just never found anything I was in love with and think my nursery is still going to be pretty cute. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes. With DD I originally spent $170+ on her bedding. I used the bumper for a brief period of time before she started moving around, but she barely slept in her crib before then anyway. The sheet was cheaply made and felt rough, so we bought Carters chamois (sp?) sheets instead. So, we basically used the dust ruffle part of it and that was it.

Then, we moved and I sold it on craigslist, because I did DD's new room in something different. 

DS's bedding set is the Pottery Barn Aloha set, but I found it at a consignment shop for $35. I wouldn't spend more than $40, IMO.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I only bought one because I found it at TJ Maxx for 59.99- the bumper is being repurposed into throw pillows for the glider and the quilt will be hung on the wall for decor.  I would have never paid full price for a set. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My opinion = absolutely a waste.

Bumpers are unsafe, quilts go into storage (nevermind the 326 other blankets I already have for baby that were gifts), those diaper bag thingies and valences and mobiles that come with the sets give me dated and fugly vibes. Plus, I'm just not a matchy-matchy type of person. I'm tying our LO's room together with colors, textures, and the general 'feel' of the room. I don't need everything in the room to have matching butterflies or jungle animals on it.

We bought two bed sheets and a matching crib skirt from PBK. And we will buy a breathable bumper at some point, but she won't need that until she really starts rolling around.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Do the quilts fit a toddler bed? We bought a convertible crib and I was wondering if the quilt is designed to fit this bed.
  • I just got some crib sheets, 2 blankets and a dust ruffle from babysupermall.com.  Carters has mix and match sheets/blankets/dustruffles/bumpers, and I bought the gender neutral color scheme. 

I was able to get a dust ruffle, 3 sheets, and 2 blankets for $72.00.  Most crib sets are 150 and up. 

They are a great deal and Carters bedding gets good ratings from Baby Bargains.

• Total waste.  I won a $350 Dwell bedding set and I never ever used it.  I am SO glad I didn't buy a set.  I have two sheets that I rotate and 2 mattress pads. We also have a breathable bumper.   I used the dust ruffle for a little bit, but once the mattress was lowered, it was too long, so that's in the closet, too.
    image Liam Henry: 9/5/09 Emmeline Claire: 5/23/11
  • I heard the set you buy for a crib will also fit the toddler bed because you use the same mattress. If that's the case then at least you'll have the set for a while.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBabalonia:
    I heard the set you buy for a crib will also fit the toddler bed because you use the same mattress. If that's the case then at least you'll have the set for a while.

I thought that too, but now that I have a toddler, I feel like I want to pick something (or let him pick something) that will reflect his personality once the time comes to make a switch to a toddler bed.  The crib sets tend to be too babyish for an older child in a toddler bed. 

image Liam Henry: 9/5/09 Emmeline Claire: 5/23/11
  • I guess I am the odd one here...crib bedding is one of my priorities. How else do you really decorate the nursery? I have budgeted quite a bit for it.

• Waste of money! Or atleast in my case, my son never once used anything but the crib sheet.  And we had a very expensive bedding set, but the quilt was too big and didn't seem comfortable.  I sold the set on craigslist recently and don't plan to buy anything but a few sheet for our second I'm currently expecting.  Honestly we could've decorated without it, I think most moms do buy bedding sets with their first. But you learn that you don't really need it, and honestly we have to rebuy basically everything but the crib for our second.  So crib bedding is nowhere on my list of priorities for number 2!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"