Baby Showers

2nd baby... shower by sister appropriate?

I am pregnant with my second child. My first was a boy, and this timeI am having a girl. My sister said she would throw me a smaller shower just to get some basic girl stuff, but I am not sure if that is ok. I always remember hearing that you dont get showers for your second at all. I dont want to offend anyone. Also, if it IS ok, who to invite?
thanks!

Re: 2nd baby... shower by sister appropriate?

• A lot of people are doing it these days. I guess it's less taboo.
  • Etiquette purists reject the notion of a second shower.  They also disagree with a close family member (like a sister) throwing said shower...

I believe a  shower is to celebrate a woman's transistion to motherhood. You are already a mother and therefore have already transistioned to motherhood.  A baby shower, despite the name is for the mom/parents.  A "welcome baby" party is to celebrate the baby, and perfectly alright to have once baby arrives.

If your sis and girlfriends want to take you out and pamper you, nothing wrong w/ that.  But a second shower would cause some people to question your etiquette sense.

Best wishes on your pregnancy!

• Loading the player...
  • Have a sprinkle instead. diapers clothes . NOTHING wrong with sis throwing it. I think all babies should be celebrated.  If someone is  concerned with your since of etiquette they should simply decline the invite IMO
  • I think it is perfectly okay.. because you are having a child of a different gender. Consider it your transition into mothering a daughter.

I am not a strict etiquette follower, and if your sis wants to do it.. whats the harm. If someone doesnt like the idea, they dont need to show up!
  • This is the first I have heard of this... My family and friends have a baby shower regardless of how many kids you have.
  • Who cares about etiquette - if your sister and your family want to shower you and your new baby with love...so be it!  My family throws baby showers no matter if its the first or fourth child. 

• How very sweet of your sister!  Even though it was her idea and she means so well, it would still reflect very poorly on you to have a shower when you're already a Mom.

Thank her profusely and ask her if she'd be willing to host a no-gifts luncheon or tea.  That way you get to celebrate the upcoming birth with people you're close to, you're not in the position of looking gift-grabby and rude, and she gets to do something wonderfully nice for you.

• i say screw all the rules. i threw my sis a shower when her dd was about two and a half. she was having a boy a second time around. no one seemed to have a problem with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"