Michigan Babies

Health Insurance

Here's the scoop,  I have been unemployeed and finishing school with no health insurance. I recently found work but do not start until Feb and will not have insurance until my orientation phase is over.  My husband and I want to start trying to conceive but I'm worried about not having insurance. Does anyone have any info or have experienced the same situation.  I'm worried that when it comes to receiving insurance through work, if i'm pregnant, I won't be covered.

Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks 

Re: Health Insurance

• Each insurance company is different, but generally pregnancy isn't considered a pre-existing condition. I was able to join a Blue Cross plan at my job while I was pregnant with my first child and I was also going to be okay with a Priority Health plan this time around.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If you don't have health insurance and do get pregnant, the state of Michigan will cover your health insurance through MIChild. They also cover children after they are born. I believe there aren't income requirements if you aren't able to get health insurance elsewhere. Hope that helps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What pp has said is correct in regards to pregnancy is not considered a pre-existing condition.  I was pregnant before my insurance started at my job and I had PH and I had zero issues.  Also what pp said about michild/medicaid, any women who is pregnant and doesn't have health insurance qualifies for it.  Hope this helps.
  • I am 33 weeks pregnant and this is what has happened to me in the last 33 weeks. First off I was on Cobra until June and when it expired my husband and I decided just to wait out the summer and look for insurance. Well by July I found out I was pregnant. Pregnancy is considered preexisting-trust me! We looked all over for insurance that would cover it. I believe if you have a job that offers insurance they can not turn you away for anything preexisting-new law-but when you are looking for individual insurance they turn you away or charge WAY to much. My husbands company is not very open to family insurance plans, we basically would have to pay full amount for insurance on me and we can't afford that.

As far as the MiChild/Healthy Kids for Pregnant woman-it's kind of a nightmare but worth it! Dealing with the government has been very difficult and yes income is a factor. We were originally turned down because of  savings i.e. 401K, ROTH IRA's and our other future savings as well as I was working for 10 weeks filling in so my income plus my husband disqualified us when we filled out Medicaid forms. However when I went to the DHS they told me to fill out the MiChild paper work and not include my husband because he does not need the insurance. I do not know how the MiChild works before you get pregnant, I don't know if you can get it before or not. 

Good Luck health insurance is a nightmare so get it when you can before getting pregnant but if you do become pregnant get to the DHS and fill out the MiChild/Healthy Kids for Pregnant women forms ASAP, it's free and well worth it. Just be sure when they ask what carrier you want check and double check with your OB, Hospital and Pediatrician office which they accept. I do know you can have 2 carriers, I am on one and my son and soon to be baby will be on another.

Again, Good Luck!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"