Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

My 27 month old boy hates the potty what to do?

he always tells me to change him after he goes poo or pee but refuses to sit on the potty. I have read him books and such but he wont go near elmos potty any suggestions? I bought him some big boy underwear and thought of just going cold turkey on the diapers during the day. Im sure there will be many accidents though

Re: My 27 month old boy hates the potty what to do?

• Options

if he hates the potty he's not ready.... boys often don't PT until 3+.

my son started asking to use the potty at 2y/o - b/c kids at school were doing it... he did great even though we weren't PTing him- but then regressed soon after... we stopped all PT and waited until he was 3y/o and did the 3-day PT ing method the week after his bday - and on day 3 it clicked and he never went back. Has only had maybe 5 accidents since then (april).... we're not going to PT the twins until they turn 3, too. i'd rather deal with diapers a little longer than deal with PTing for months on end, cleaning up tons of accidents, etc.....

• Options
    He's not ready?  That's my only thought and I wouldn't stress out about it. 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagechicsub:
    He's not ready?  That's my only thought and I wouldn't stress out about it. 

Yeah that! 

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Options
    My 30 month old DD is the exact same way. I think she could do it, but she has no desire what-so-ever. I'm not pushing it, but, like you, am becoming concerned. I plan to really hit PTing this summer right around her 3rd birthday.
    231IMG_7435002IMG_7756
  • Options

I would say he's probably not ready and I would try again in a couple of months, or sooner if he starts showing interest before then.

My DS is 27.5 months and has absolutely no interest in PTing at all at the moment. He freaks out if we try to sit him on the big potty, and doesn't want to sit on his little potty we bought him. He generally doesn't tell us if he poops or pees in his diaper, unless its the morning and he's soaked through his pajamas, which happens on occasion. The only thing he wants to do with the potty is flush when DH or I go to the bathroom, and then he says "bye bye pee pee" or "bye bye poopy." He's definitely not ready, and I'm not pushing him. I've heard the average age for boys to PT is closer to 3. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My guess is he's not ready. He's really not very old and has lots of time. As PP mentioned, most boys dont PT until they're 3. My DS will be 3 in March and I'm hoping we'll be well on our way with PTing at that point, but I'm not stressing it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

we've been PTing for about 6 months now.  He finally got it but is still having accidents.  I'd say your boy isn't ready.  My son just turned 3 and he just got the hang of it.

The day i knew we were ready was when he woke up and asked to pee on the potty then wanted underwear on. 

• Options

ds will be 3 next month and he still isnt even close to ready...

i don't even think about it much other than asking him if he wants to sit on the potty (and he gets a lollypop just for sitting on it)

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    DS is the same way (also 27 months). We first introduced the potty a couple of months ago.  At first, he was excited to sit on it (no pee or poop though), but now he could care less and won't sit on it at all when we ask.  He still doesn't tell us if he pees or poops, except on rare occassions when he'll tell us he wants up if he's sitting and about to poop.  We won't push it, but I do wish I had one less set of diapers to change :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

We are in the same situation! My 30-month-old son is the same way. He will tell me when he needs his diaper changed, and he loves to read potty stories. However, he wants nothing to do with the potty when asked to try it out. We tried PT'ing a few days back in November and he clearly wasn't ready. I was thinking about starting again towards the end of the month when DH will be home to help, but I think I might just wait until he seems a bit more interested. He'll be 3 in June, so maybe he'll be ready closer to then.

Good luck!

ps...Im in MI, too..near Ann Arbor. How about you?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"