Babies: 9 - 12 Months

How much table food = a meal?

Right now DS still has a puree for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, along with whatever table foods we are eating. He doesn't eat nearly enough table food for it to be considered a meal alone. What portion sizes do you use if you only give table food for meals?
3/2009 ~ chemical pregnancy 7/2009 ~ BFP! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How much table food = a meal?

• I just keep giving him food until he stops eating.

For dinner, he usually has something to munch on while I get things ready (a piece of fruit usually), and then a few cheese cubes or a Babybel.  He'll have some meat (about 1 baby fist) and either a handful of mixed veggies or 5 or so broccoli spears.  Sometimes toast as well, and always a sippy of whole milk.

He doesn't always eat it all, and some ends up in his chair or on the floor, but he eats till he's full.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just keep giving her food until she acts like she is done. When they are first learning to eat table food, I dont think it matters how much they eat. Let them eat until they are full, if they aren't hungry you can't force it. I wouldn't worry, she wont starve herself!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Since I breastfed i find it natural to let her eat 'till she shows me she's done.  Sometimes she's hardly hungry and other times she pulls her chair out and slaps the booster 'till I get the idea that she wants food NOW :-)

Usually for breakfast she has a couple spoons of scrambled egg, some toast or sausage, and a banana.  Some times she finishes it all and then other times she only eats about 1/2 of it.  It goes that way with most meals.  She no longer drinks formula. We switched to whole milk all the way a few days ago.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• imagesimplejude:
    I just keep giving her food until she acts like she is done. When they are first learning to eat table food, I dont think it matters how much they eat. Let them eat until they are full, if they aren't hungry you can't force it. I wouldn't worry, she wont starve herself!

This :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Liam eats a LOT for breakfast & lunch... dinner he mostly snacks.

breakfast= 1 whole banana, 1c. oatmeal, 2 turkey sausage links & a handful of puffs... sometimes some pears too

lunch- whole grilled cheese, cup of fruit chunks, cup of veggies, some puffs...

*whole- I tear it into pieces but he eats the equivalent of a whole banana & grilled cheese

#rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran

• imagedunvilles:

Liam eats a LOT for breakfast & lunch... dinner he mostly snacks.

breakfast= 1 whole banana, 1c. oatmeal, 2 turkey sausage links & a handful of puffs... sometimes some pears too

lunch- whole grilled cheese, cup of fruit chunks, cup of veggies, some puffs...

*whole- I tear it into pieces but he eats the equivalent of a whole banana & grilled cheese

wow!! I WISH my boys ate like that! I have 2 questions- 1- do you still give him bottles? and 2- when did you start finger foods?

• I read that a good guideline is 1/4 of what an adult serving is.  So if a piece of bread is a serving - then 1/4 of a piece for your LO.  We are still on mostly purees too - only because if I give my LO fresh steamed broccoli, he'll throw it on the floor.  If I give him the zucchini broccoli medley from Earth's Best, he can't eat it quick enough!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"