1st Trimester

what cold medicine is ok when pregnant?

i am wondering if sudafed is ok.

Re: what cold medicine is ok when pregnant?

• Good luck...Feel better!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • there actually can be a huge difference in meds that are safe for breastfeeding and not pg and vice versa. For example, my migraine med is a category D in pregnancy, but is ok for breastfeeding. 

I use www.safefetus.com a lot for checking pregnancy medications.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the clarification.  Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I found this article in my bookmarks from when I was pg with DS. It has helpful info. I also use safefetus.com as well.

https://www.obfocus.com/high-risk/meds1.htm

• imageCAM2007:
    Thanks for the clarification.  Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

no problem! It's a very common misconception, really. :)  

• I hate to say this and every doctor is different, but my OB and RE both said nothing before 16 weeks.  I know some doctors say that Sudafed is OK, but mine was pretty strict on the subject.

ETA: I hope you feel better soon.  I have the cold from hell right now, and can't take anything because I'm still BFing. 

• Between pregnancy and BFing, I've been off cold meds forever it seems.  What does seem to work for me (marginally) is using a neti pot, breathe right strips, and some vicks vapo rub on my upper lip.  Feel better!

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • With DD#1, my dr said until 16 weeks, nothing but steam, vapo rub and saline spray.  Like pp said though, each dr is different.  At your first appointment, your Dr should have given you a list of safe meds to take at each stage in your pregnancy.  If not, I would call and ask.
  • sudafed is a category C and should only be used when the benefits far outweigh the risks. Unfortunately, there aren't very many cold medicines approved for use in pg. 

Benedryl is ok, if it would help some of your symptoms, as is tylenol for the aches and stuff. But I second the neti pot recommendation. And maybe some emergen-c to boost your immune system.  

• I have an upper resp. infection and my doc and the pharmacist have both said Sudafed is okay. I am VERY early in this pregnancy (maybe 6 weeks) and haven't been to the OB yet, so that explains my lack of ticker.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"