Babies: 9 - 12 Months

OMG! Help?

DD has croup and I think I read somewhere not to let her cry because it'll make breathing harder for her.  She will NOT go to sleep!  She just wants to play and when we try  to leave she cries. 

Any ideas?

Re: OMG! Help?

• Grady has croup too, and the pedi didn't say anything about not letting him cry.  She said to keep to routine as much as possible.  She recommended a humidifier in his room, bringing him in the steamy bathroom for a few minutes, and bundling him up to take him out into the fresh air when possible.  I also got a Vicks plug-in for his room and have been massaging his chest with lavender oil at night before I put his pjs on.  The barking cough has almost gone away since I started all this two days ago.  Good luck, Mama, I know it's rough! 
    I don't know what's up with my siggy and I am too lazy to figure it out.
  • Here are a few links to resouces for croupe. Sounds like it doesn't necessarily make it worse, but  it aggravates the symptoms and makes them feel worse.

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t084200.asp

https://www.whattoexpect.com/childrens-health-and-safety/croup-in-children.aspx

https://www.rexanne.com/article-croup.html

Good luck. I hope she feels better soon! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • imageelyshaswedding:
    Grady has croup too, and the pedi didn't say anything about not letting him cry.  She said to keep to routine as much as possible.  She recommended a humidifier in his room, bringing him in the steamy bathroom for a few minutes, and bundling him up to take him out into the fresh air when possible.  I also got a Vicks plug-in for his room and have been massaging his chest with lavender oil at night before I put his pjs on.  The barking cough has almost gone away since I started all this two days ago.  Good luck, Mama, I know it's rough! 

Just FYI, but you don't want anything with Menthol in an infants room.  It can actually make the symptoms worse, and cause the bronchial tubes to swell.  That is why regular vicks vapo-rub is a no-no. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • FYI - if they get the croupe, they usually get it every year around the same time.  My son has gotten it since he was 2 years old and he is 7 now.  It gets easier as they get older.  Keep their heads next to a humidifier.  Cold mist works better then warm and keep it cool in the room.  Prednisone is usually given (form of steriod) either from shot if they are really bad or liquid.
  • imagegrapeape73:

imageelyshaswedding:
    Grady has croup too, and the pedi didn't say anything about not letting him cry.  She said to keep to routine as much as possible.  She recommended a humidifier in his room, bringing him in the steamy bathroom for a few minutes, and bundling him up to take him out into the fresh air when possible.  I also got a Vicks plug-in for his room and have been massaging his chest with lavender oil at night before I put his pjs on.  The barking cough has almost gone away since I started all this two days ago.  Good luck, Mama, I know it's rough! 

Just FYI, but you don't want anything with Menthol in an infants room.  It can actually make the symptoms worse, and cause the bronchial tubes to swell.  That is why regular vicks vapo-rub is a no-no. 

my pedi told us this as well. she recommended baby vicks when he had a cold and when I could only find regular I called to ask if it was ok. Thank goodness I called because she told me NO don't use it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"