Cloth Diapering

Flips or g diapers

I would like to register for diapers but the only ones carried at babies r us (at least near me) are flips and g diapers.  Do you all have any opinions on these brands?  I like that the flips are one size fits all (to save money) but I wonder if this affects comfort and/or leakage?  This is my first baby and no one I know uses cloth diapers so I appreciate any help.

(If there is another brand that is far better than either of these, I will also be registering on albeebaby.com so I may be able to find another kind on there.  I just doubt too many of my family would want to buy online.  Half hte fun is browsing the baby store!!)

Thanks

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Flips or g diapers

• My baby is nearly 6 months old and we just barely started cloth this week. 

I have used gdiapers with the disposable/flushable/compostable inserts and really didn't care for them...mostly because the stuffing action while trying to change a baby is annoying. 

So we're using pocket diapers, I think it's better to have all the diapers assembled before hand rather than doing it at 3am or 3pm or whenever. 

No one I know does cloth either, but the pocket diapers are really easy so far. 

I got mine at gogreenpocketdiapers.com cause they were affordable for me to just try out without spending a fortune. 

I'm also not opposed to using disposable diapers along with cloth. 

• Although I wanted to love the G's I just didn't.  The cotton covers are really nice, but they leak a lot at the legs and the waterproof layer tends to wear out quickly and then wick long before there is much liquid in the diaper.  We used them when we were traveling instead of disposables, and with cloth inserts when out and about because the cloth inserts are much smaller than packing a whole wet diaper or 2 home in the diaper bag.

I have no experience with Flip, so nothing to say good or bad.

Children should be seen, and heard, and believed. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We just started cloth this week and I bought some g-diapers for day time (figured it would be less clutter to bring along for the whole day).  I have ordered some flips and I cannot wait for them to get here.

In general, it seems like flips are getting better reviews than the g-diapers.  Obviously having to buy different sizes means more $$$ and I also read that the velcro eventually gives out on the g's.  I had DD in a g-diaper with a disposable last night and she leaked through the top (granted it was 13 hours).

I would only buy a few of whatever you decide though... I am learning the hard way that you think you will really like something and then you don't or it just doesn't fit your baby right. 

Good luck Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTara n Mike:

I had DD in a g-diaper with a disposable last night and she leaked through the top (granted it was 13 hours).

13 HOURS?!  My brain can't even compute.  Was she sleeping the whole time? 

As far as gdiapers go, we use them and love them.  Granted we've only been using them for 2 months, but so far they're a huge hit.  I love that I can change the insert or the insert and the liner or the whole thing, depending on how dirty/wet it is.  

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone!   I guess I will register for a few of each and also maybe get some other brands myself to try and see what I like. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have both and like both.   I say try a couple of each and then you'll know what you like better.  I'm cloth diapering two children (5 month old and a 17 month old) and diapers fit them differently.   A variety is nice to have!

Here's a little run down of the pros/cons of each in my experiences:

gdiapers (with gcloth):

Pros:   cute, trim fitting, no leaks, easy to use, cover can be reused for multiple changes (even Natalie's poop diapers and sometimes Dominic's), I like the snap in liner.    Really easy to use if you prepare diapers after laundry before putting away.

Cons:  learning curve - if they aren't put on properly (too tight or too loose) then they may leak, some people don't like the snap in liner (I do), can be annoying if you run out of snap in liners.

Flip (with cloth):

pros:  one size, not crazy bulky, no leaks, crazy easy to use and require no stuffing of inserts or snapping of liners.

Cons:   poop always gets on the cover for both of my kids, so cover can't be reused after poop diapers (in our experiences), I find that the elastic on the leg and the cloth parts inside always feel damp after a pee change, so I don't really like reusing them after a pee diaper, either.  Or, at least, I rotate diapers so that it has a chance to dry.

There is no such thing as the perfect diaper!    Each will have pros and cons.   I'd go ahead and register for flip and gdiapers, but also consider doing a cloth diaper trial so that you can see what you really prefer.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"