Georgia Babies
Options

Flu Shots for the little ones?

What is everyone thinking regarding getting the flu shots for the little ones?  Our pedi wants Alec to get 2 flu shots a month apart this year.

I've never had one and I typically don't get the flu.  My parents get flu shots every year and always get the flu.

TIA

Re: Flu Shots for the little ones?

• Options
    We did it last year and will do it again.  My good friend was a nurse at Children's and told me about the kids she held in her arms that died of the flu.  YIKES.  I'm going to get one too.
  • Options
    B has already had his first dose and will have his second one on the 14th.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As a nurse that gave flu shots, I recommend it for little kids (after 6 months of age) and adults. Adults can bring it home to the little ones and if the babies get the flu then their little body is still not strong enough to recover as fast. If you read the CDC website, it will give you some info. Some doctors will give the flu vaccine through the nose instead of a shot.

I know that a lot of people say that they get the flu shot and then get the flu. The vaccine works 2 weeks after the shot and so if you get the flu sooner then it's because the vaccine has not had time to work. Or if you get the flu after the 2 weeks then the symptoms are not as severe as what it could be. People can end up with pneumonia and in the hospital from the flu. Get it like it's insurance. your child might not get the flu but in case then they are protected.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Elliott got a shot last year and will again this year too.
  • Options
    LL got the shot last year and I will have her get this year also.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • Options
    Will definitely to the flu shot for Kate and for us. We get it every year.
    Photo by Everything Nice Photography
    My blog
  • Options

andrew and I got one yesterday...ethan and dh get theirs tomorrow :)

I would get it!

• Options
    Grant got one last year and we both will this year...especially with the baby being around now.
    Grant Thomas 8.8.06 and Reid Alexander 8.11.08
  • Options
    I guess I am one of the few that is really weary of the flu shot for a baby. Ava is 10 mos and I am not certain about getting one.  I just don't like the idea of giving someone under 1 any more shots or chemicals in their system than are absolutely necessary. Half the time the shots don't even protect against the strain of the flu that year.  I might change my mind, but am still undecided on this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"