Babies: 9 - 12 Months

What would you do to your cat if she did this? PsIP

This happened much earlier today so I doubt any disciplining at this point is an option, plus I'm sure Simon deserved it since he harasses the kitty all the time.

Clip claws or those kitty soft claw things? 

What I don't understand is if he is bothering her so much, how come she doesn't just run away? It's like I have two babies here (except for not, of course).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What would you do to your cat if she did this? PsIP

• Yikes. Poor baby. I have no tolerance when it comes to the cats (not sure why). Fortunately, one of them stays away and the other one takes the abuse (which is rare) and when she has had enough, just walks away.

image Preston 10/13/06 - Harrison 04/14/10
  • imagemojito14:

Yikes. Poor baby. I have no tolerance when it comes to the cats (not sure why). Fortunately, one of them stays away and the other one takes the abuse (which is rare) and when she has had enough, just walks away.

THis is exactly our usual situation. The one kitty is always so patient and rarely ever retaliates. I'm thinking he must have really done something to hurt her. I just don't want it to happen again.
  • Loading the player...
  • DF has threatened to make both my indoor kitties outdoor kitties.. which I'm not sure he'd actually do. I've considered the soft claw things, but haven't done them. For now we just keep them trimmed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Aww!! Poor baby. Both our cats our declawed (no flames, please) but my friend has those soft claw covers and they work great for her cat.
  • imagekimandjared:
    Aww!! Poor baby. Both our cats our declawed (no flames, please) but my friend has those soft claw covers and they work great for her cat.
    Do you know, are they permanent?
  • I have 10 month old twins boys, who are very interested in our cat. Our cat is declawed (my husband got it done before he and I were dating- it was his cat originally)--however, he bites instead. He has nipped at each of my boys twice, and requires little provocation to do so. He didn't cause puncture wounds with his teeth, just more like scratches, but regardless now my policy is that if the boys are up, kitty is locked down the basement with his cat food and litterbox. When they go down for their naps and go to bed, the cat can come out of the basement. I don't care if it seems cruel, once my boys were born, the cat moved waaaay down my priority list.
  • Oh my! That looks like it hurt, poor baby. I dont have cats, so I have no advice. But I'm pretty sure I would be making a kitty carpet if one did that to our baby.
    Effing crazy people.
  • imagesleepingbeauty825:
    imagekimandjared:
    Aww!! Poor baby. Both our cats our declawed (no flames, please) but my friend has those soft claw covers and they work great for her cat.
    Do you know, are they permanent?

No they aren?t we tried them with our cat when he was a kitten and they were a pain to get on so we just started using the water bottle as a way to train him not to scratch the carpets.  My friend said some vets will assist with putting them on so if you have trouble you can talk to your vet. 

My cats also have claws and my DD got scratched once by accident my pedi gave me an antibiotic cream to put on the scratch and told me to use it if she was scratched again just as a precaution.  This was when she was really little.  Our cats pretty much leave her alone and we watch them closely when they are interacting.  Also, we clip their claws once a week.  Until you can figure out what happen I would more than likely not leave the baby and the cat alone together. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Poor baby!  Luckily our cat stays far, far away from our DD.  If the cat is older, I wouldn't declaw - but if it is still a kitten it is something to consider.  Ours has the front ones out and we keep the back ones trimmed.   He's an inside-only kitty.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have four cats in my home... We just make sure they have something they can use to keep their claws trimmed (such as a cat tree/scratching post). I am concerned that my little guy will do the same with our cats.  So far - I've been lucky.  Georgie (our blind cat) loves babies but he hates it when they pull on his tails.  My LO has a tendency to grab the tails if not the fur... Any scratches my LO has is because the kitties had walked/run over him while we're asleep in the bed (yes, all of us sleep together at times).

Keep the area clean where Simon got scratched and make sure he doesn't develop a fever.  As long as your cats are indoor only cats, the chance of getting cat scratch fever is minimum.

• Honestly,  I would de-claw if that ever happened. (We have one cat whom SO declawed before we met). 

• Aww poor Simon. I don't have any advice, sorry. Our cats are both declawed. I hope you find a solution that works for you!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    M/C Dec 2010 - 5w5d Missing my sweet angel baby.
  • I think someone else mentioned Neosporin. I would definitely use that as a precaution.

I've used the claw covers:

https://www.softpaws.com/?gclid=CJjauqa-l6YCFQ975QodPyE8mA

They were ok. They grow out with the nail, so you need to glue on new ones every few weeks. I stopped using them though because I'm lazy. GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We have a cat who scratched DH really bad (when she was scared by the neighbors dog) but when we talked to the vet about declawing her (which I am not a fan of but we were exploring our options) he said that declawing cats when they are older can make them flip out and more violent/bite instead.  Declawing your cat now would probably be a bad idea (but obviously your vet will give you more info).

That being said, we couldn't get rid of our cat but she is in our bedroom only and DD is NEVER around her.  I know that is excessive but it is not worth it to me to have our evil cat scratch our daughter.  Honestly, with those pictures, I would keep the cat away from your son completely...what if the cat had scratched his eye???

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks ladies for all the suggestions! Simon has been scratched before, but not like this. He is all greased up with Neosporin but I'm not concerned about any kind of infection at this point. The cats are both strictly inside cats.

Declawing is not an option. I'm thinking our best bet is just to keep trimming her nails- we haven't really done so yet so they were pretty sharp!

Big Smile 

• imagemonj76:
    Oh my! That looks like it hurt, poor baby. I dont have cats, so I have no advice. But I'm pretty sure I would be making a kitty carpet if one did that to our baby.

This for me, too. We had a cat but she was scared of Annabelle. If she had ever scratched her, she'd be gone. Same for the dogs, but luckily we have worked with them a LOT to make sure that no matter what she pulls, they deal or walk off. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Kick her ass.lol.

Well my cat did this to my first son when he was about 1. We let her sleep down in the hall she never did it again. lol. SCARRRY so mad.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'd get that cat declawed ASAP and you really need to get his head cleaned off really well because cat's claws are nasty from the kitty litter and stuff. I'd use neosporin as a PP mentioned.
    Brady (7.15.10) and Nolan (5.11.13)
  • omg heck no! i'd be soo mad!!! yup i'd get it declawed if it meant a lot to us. if not then i'd get rid of it. give it away or something. your baby doesnt deserve that.
    Mommy to my princess 1/19/2010, Wifey to my HS sweetie and US Marine, the baby countdown

Thanks ladies for all the suggestions! Simon has been scratched before, but not like this. He is all greased up with Neosporin but I'm not concerned about any kind of infection at this point. The cats are both strictly inside cats.

Declawing is not an option. I'm thinking our best bet is just to keep trimming her nails- we haven't really done so yet so they were pretty sharp!

Big Smile 

Kudos for you for being level headed about this and thinking things through without freaking out.

Good luck trimming her nails - hopefully she lets you do it easily.

And a huge Yes for not even considering declawing!

5/10 - Gideon 6/12 Warren
    4/11 Started adoption process for 2 siblings through DCF. 10/12 Found out we are licensed! 12/14 Brought 3 week old identical twin girls home from the hospital.  Could be at least until Summer 1015 til we know if they are forever ours
  • Most groomers will be happy to show you how to best trim your cat's nails or how to apply Soft Claws.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBrandi Bee:

I forgot to add-

When I was about eight, my cat scratched my face.  Even though she was an inside cat, something on her nail gave me an infection that the doctor actually referred to as "cat scratch fever".  My entire face swelled and it was pretty miserable.  I had to have steroid injections to clear it up.

I declawed Wendy when she was 4 or 5.  I felt badly about it, but she was tearing our *** up constantly.  And yes, we tried all of those wonderful gadgets that apparently all cats prefer over a couch or mattress or curtains.  Every single one.  I call BS.  Wendy has never shown even a glimmer of interest in cat toys or scratching posts or anything of that kind.  I didn't want to spend thousands of dollars on furniture just so she could rip it to shreds.  I also know that giving her away wasn't an option.  Even if I wanted to, I knew it would be hard with her being an older cat.

So declawed she is.  It's better than her being in a shelter for one day before being euthanized.

My brother was scratched by a cat when he was three. He developed cat scratch fever and the infection traveled to his brain causing severe seizures and as a result severe permanent brain damage. I'm not a fan of cats, needless to say. I'd keep the cat and LO separated at all times.
  • imageBrandi Bee:
    bye bye claws!  Actually, that pic does away with any guilt I have over declawing Wendy.

I'd rather an occasional scratch than the cat retaliating by biting, which is what most declawed cats will do since that's their last defense mechanism.

Keep the claws trimmed.  I actually trim Meiyu and Minerva's claws every time I trim Liam's nails, makes it easy to remember.  No scratches yet on Liam, but my cats are docile, and practically trained.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Thanks ladies for all the suggestions! Simon has been scratched before, but not like this. He is all greased up with Neosporin but I'm not concerned about any kind of infection at this point. The cats are both strictly inside cats.

Big Smile 

This is what we have had to do. It is my fault because I just kept forgetting to trim them. Our girl cat that is really protective of Bryce - scratched him once like that too on his head. I felt so awful. She loves him, and follows him around - we call her the 2nd mother. Honestly - she is so good to him and he was yanking really hard on her collar which she usually tolerates and purrs at. I looked away for a second and he must have yanked too hard and she got his head. Another time - she was just kneading and I think he pulled away and got his hand scratched. H is aware that if she does it again she is gone (his cat before we got together) - the second time wasn't intentional at all. Our other cat got him once for the same reason - he just yanked his collar and he was mad. If he does it again - he is gone. He is very sensitive and now knows to walk away from Bryce when he gets annoyed - he avoids him when he is awake now unless he just comes up to rub on him and run away. Our 3rd cat just loves Bryce too and he sits there and yanks on him and he loves it. I always said they would be gone the first time that they did anything to him - but they were disciplined and have learned. Our cats are a part of our family too - so it is easier said then done. Of course - the baby's safety is the most important. His Pedi said that cat bites can be nasty but as long as we keep their nails trimmed and monitor them together.

Little man # 1 - 03/05/2010
    Little man # 2 - 05/02/2013
    Little sister - 07/16/2015
  • I clip all of our cats' claws once a week with a regular animal nail clipper. It blunts the claws, so if Bean does get scratched, it's not terrible. 

And I will totally flame those of you who have declawed your cats.  Shame shame shame on you.  You basically amputated their "fingers," and made them defenseless in case they get out and get into trouble.  That's lazy & cruel pet ownership. Ugh.

• We use that pedi-paws trimmer thing. "As seen on TV!" It's basically an emery board on a little motor. The only drawback is we have to wrestle her into a towel and she hates it!

She rarely scratches with her nails out--if Zane is torturing her she deals with it for a bit and then will swat him with her paw no claws--if that doesn't startle him she'll give him a little bite--but she knows better than to full on scratch or really bite. She takes a lot of abuse but we want to be fair to her too. She's indoor/outdoor so declawing is not an option.

It works for about a month or so before we have to re-do it. It is a pain getting her held down.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • the cat would be gone.  and our cat is "my" cat....she won't let me cut her claws ( i used to be able to do them if i wrapped her in a towel and did one paw at a time--not anymore).  even if your cat is an indoor cat, you have to clean the scratch really well, it can still become infected--they get litter and other nastiness caught under their claws.  our cat sleeps in her own room at night and if P gets too crazy with her during the day she will run. you have to be so careful with DS if your cat is going to go back at him.....that could have been his eye or neck or worse. GL with whatever you do.
    photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • imagemsditz00:
    imagesleepingbeauty825:

Big Smile 

Kudos for you for being level headed about this and thinking things through without freaking out.

Good luck trimming her nails - hopefully she lets you do it easily.

And a huge Yes for not even considering declawing!

I agree. I get really upset when I hear about people getting rid of their pets just because the pet protected itself.  I know babies don?t understand not to pull a cat?s tail etc?but cats don?t understand that they should not protect themselves because a baby was the one pulling its tail or whatever the baby was doing. Unless an animal is just cruel for no reason I don?t see any point in getting rid of the animal.  I love my cats and they are a part of the family and even at 10 months we make sure to tell DD to be nice and play nice. At this point it is on us to make sure she does not get hurt, the cat is just being a cat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • We clip my cats nails. I try to stay on top of it because a couple of weeks ago, Buddy's nails were pretty long and Bryce was harassing him as usual and he scratched his hand. Buddy usually runs away when he sees Bryce coming towards him, but not this time. He normally knows better too not to scratch the baby, just like he knows not to scratch our faces. Most of the time he'll go to scratch him and then pull his paw back as if he knows not to do that, so Bryce must have really have been bothering him.

I have tried those Soft Paws before him and they never fit on his nails properly, so he was easily able to rip them off. Before my other Kitty was declawed, we used the Soft Paws and they worked really well with him. It's definitely worth a shot to try the, but if not, I'd definitely keep his nails cut all the time.

• imagechristine aramis:
    omg heck no! i'd be soo mad!!! yup i'd get it declawed if it meant a lot to us. if not then i'd get rid of it. give it away or something. your baby doesnt deserve that.

Seriously, you would give the cat away? They don't know any better, she was defending her, the same as you would if someone was torturing you. I understand that it's not acceptable, but there are other options out there, soft claws, keeping her nails trimmed, or even declawing.

• I have only dealt with this with our older kids.  I am a mean mom:  you learn the hard way not to eff with the cat : )  She never scratched the kids unless they messed with them.   I am not sure what I would do with a baby or scratches that were not preceded by the kids messing with the cat.  Sadly, our cat run away in July when we had a new roof put on the house.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"