June 2011 Moms

Love your career?

I'm curious if there are any women here that love what they do but nervous about leaving their career when the baby is born. I'm convinced that I'll go back after maternity leave, but realize that might all change when she/he arrives.

I just started my career in non profit. I've always been in entertainment, media, marketing, blah, blah, but have found my passion in a wonderful organization empowering women and youth. I'm trying to find a way to care for my little one and continue my career. Any ideas? My role is managing online/mobile campaigns and it's difficult to do it solely from home.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Love your career?

• I do like what I do and my clients. I am an Esthetician (skin care)...I build my business on request/repeat clientele. Thats how I make my $, when clients come back. I fear that after being gone for three months I may lose some of them :/

I do plan to return to work probably part time and really hope most of my cleints do return to me.

• I love my career but I hate the company that I work for. My job title is agronomist but I don't have the typical agronomist's job. My degrees are in horticulture and I really enjoy this field.

I am really no help because I am going to go back to work after. Being a SAHM is not for me and it's not really the kind of job I can do from home.  

• Loading the player...
  • I currently have a full-time job that I love, and a part-time wedding planning job that I love even more! I am hoping that by 2012 my wedding planning business will have expanded enough for me to be able to just do that.. Until then, I'm pretty sure I'll be returning to work after 3 months off. 
    Our journey as NEWLYWEDS!<3</a>
    My Married Bio

Love, marriage and a baby carriage :)image
  • will they offer you a position that is part time? that way you can still do what you love yet spend more time at home?

• I am a dental hygienist. I LOVE my career. However I am glad I took 5 1/2 months off along with only working 2 days a week. I would have missed sooooo much.

Now woth this new baby who knows what will happen.I may just work Saturdays.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'm in interrogations/investigations. I do love it. Although there are days where I hate it too. Its interesting and there's always a new case to work on. I have to return to work, we can't afford to be without my income, especially with the house in NY that isn't selling. But I do wish sometimes that I could be a SAHM.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am a lawyer, and I am definitely worried about the backlash against moms in my profession.  It is not a family-friendly environment and despite efforts to improve, the business doesn't adjust and clients want and pay for the immediate response and access that are much harder for a working parent to provide.  Getting mommy-tracked is hard to avoid and I'm anticipating a constant struggle to figure out what is best for me and my family.
  • I love my job.  Love it.  There is no way I won't be returning after maternity leave.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I like what I do. I work in a nursing home so I have a nursing rotation. When I'm on maternity leave, my rotation will be 'posted' and someone else can apply for it to replace me while I'm gone. Whenever I want to go back, then they get kicked out of my spot.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm a special ed teacher and I love it.  I always thought I would want to work no matter what.  Now that the time has come I wish I could be a SAHM but we need my salary to live, there's no way around it.
  • I'm a preschool teacher, and I LOVE IT! To me, 3 year olds are the best age. Currently I work part-time. I am struggling with staying at home. That was always the plan, but I really love my kiddos at school. I might keep my current schedule (M-W-F). It gives me the best of both worlds- I'm at home 4 days a week and home by 3 on the days I work, but I also get adult interaction. I'm not worried about getting stuck out of my field. My DH doesn't care either way- we can afford to live on his income.
  • Also, I can bring the baby with me. I worked in a daycare and another preschool, and there is NO WAY IN HELL I would put my child in any center that I wasn't working in. Not to scare working mothers, because I know there are good schools and daycares out there, but I would work in a daycare before I let my baby go to a school unless I personally knew the teacher. So being able to bring the baby with me is another reason I am considering continuing to work. Decisions, decisions.
  • imagesimbaby:

I'm curious if there are any women here that love what they do but nervous about leaving their career when the baby is born. I'm convinced that I'll go back after maternity leave, but realize that might all change when she/he arrives.

I just started my career in non profit. I've always been in entertainment, media, marketing, blah, blah, but have found my passion in a wonderful organization empowering women and youth. I'm trying to find a way to care for my little one and continue my career. Any ideas? My role is managing online/mobile campaigns and it's difficult to do it solely from home.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

It's awesome that you love your job so much and it sounds like it gives you a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. My job is a lot like that and I'm incredibly blessed that it's at a church with a small, very flexible staff doing mostly financial stuff. I'll be able to work mostly from home thanks to an online software and when I do have to go in (to print checks or something), they are practically begging me to bring the baby. You might not be able to take the baby in with you but could you manage finding some sort of child care for part of the week? It sounds like you could at least do some of your work from home - maybe your company would be flexible about when you come in. Good luck in figuring it out!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • I love what I do and where I work - I'm a civil rights attorney with the government.  My office is very family-friendly, and I never really considered being a SAHM.  At times I think I'd love it, but I'm too invested in my work and care about it too much.

But our folks understand work-life balance, and plenty of our moms in the office bring their kids by all the time and telecommute some days.  We don't have any kind of mommy-tracking or anything like that, which I'm very grateful for because that can be a huge problem for lawyers.

Been away from theBump for a while, getting active again for all the good advice :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageM&M227:
    I'm a special ed teacher and I love it.  I always thought I would want to work no matter what.  Now that the time has come I wish I could be a SAHM but we need my salary to live, there's no way around it.

Yep same here! special ed teacher too. Really enjoy my job but would LOVE to be a SAHM. If only I wasn't finishing up my masters..really looking forward to a raise next year. Guess I'll have to go back to work to get it though! 

• Loved my job, loved my company, but I couldn't think of anything except DS when I went back to work (after 4 months even). It was so frustrating to feel like I was half-assing my job because I couldn't be there 100% mentally. I did work from home quite a it, but after the first few months DS needed more attention that I could give him while working.

It was a huge financial sacrifice for me to quit, especially since we weren't prepared for that to be a consideration. You are wise to prepare yourself for the possibility that you might feel differently after your baby is born.

• I work in organizational change management, concentrating on social media use in a global environment. I like my job quite a lot but I won't cry when I get to take paid leave for 9 months to be with my child. Instead I feel so blessed!

You didn't ask for advice, but my advice is to follow your passions. If this position gives you energy, I bet you can be creative in finding a way to keep it in your life. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"