Breastfeeding
Options

Breastfeeding as a teacher

I plan on breastfeeding as much as possible, but when I return to work as a kindergarten teacher (with no aide) I do not see how this will be possible. I maybe get 30 minutes a day to eat lunch, and that's my only time away from the kids. Anyone else have this issue?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breastfeeding as a teacher

• Options
    Do you have a planning/prep period?
    Proud Momma to two beautiful children!!!

• Options
    I'm a teacher and haven't gone back to work yet... my plan is to pump before the kids get there at 8:00, at lunch time 12:00, and at the end of the day before going home. I'm hoping it will keep my supply up and allow me to keep BFing. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Do you get a prep period?  I usually pump 3 times a day in one of the following ways:

1.  Before the kids arrive, during my lunch, and after school

2.  During my lunch, during my prep, and after school

3.  Before the kids arrive, during my lunch, during my prep

I teach first grade.  It's hard because I can't run around the room and get things ready while I'm pumping, but I do try to have things to do while I'm pumping (i.e. checking in homework, writing notes to parents, going through files of things to copy).  

If you don't have a prep and only have that 30 minute block, I would speak to HR about getting some extra time to pump.  It's a legal right in most states.

Good luck! 

• Options

I nurse DD when she wakes up around 6:30am or if she wakes up late I pump on the way to work (DH drives) at around 7am.  Then I pump during my 20 minute recess at 10:10.  After that, I don't pump or nurse again until around 3pm.  If I can get to my mom's house (she watches DD) in time for her afternoon feeding, I nurse her.  If not, I pump.  My supply wasn't affected at all.  

I agree with pp.  Talk to your principal because in most states they are required to give you time and a private place to pump.  Good luck! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'll echo what the PPs have said. I pump before school, during lunch, and after school. It's not the best situation, but it's working out ok.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"