Baby Names
Options

Adelaide ??? WDYT?

Since we got married, my husband has been set on the name Adelaide for a little girl.  Now that I am pregnant with our daughter, he is really really set on it.  The problem lies in the fact that I don't love it and everyone who we mention it to hates it.  I suppose it could grow on me.  Sigh.  What do you ladies think?  I realize that it's different but what are your initial thoughts on it?  Anything helps- I appreciate your honesty.

Re: Adelaide ??? WDYT?

• Options
    I'm on the fence... I really like the sound, but I'd be worried she'd be another Addy with all the Addisons.
  • Options

Yes, Im right there with you.  That is a concern of mine.  And I dont even like the name Addy/Addie for a nickname.  We would definitely need to come up with another nickname for her.  Any ideas?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maybe Ally? I'm not particularly good with nns, maybe someone who's better with them will come along.
  • Options
    I like that!  :  )  Thank you for your thoughts.  Im going to suggest it to my husband.
  • Options
    I don't think you should name your daughter something that you don't love. Maybe you should keep looking and find something you both love.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Awe, yes.  Tis the problem.  I have names that I love.  My husband has names that he loves.  Together, we have names that we Like.  Our daughter is already his princess. . .   I don't want to disappoint him in anyway.  
  • Options

imagemetzy144:
    I don't think you should name your daughter something that you don't love. Maybe you should keep looking and find something you both love.

This. Or maybe if he's dead set on it, you all could use it as a middle name.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageoolalaa21:
    Awe, yes.  Tis the problem.  I have names that I love.  My husband has names that he loves.  Together, we have names that we Like.  Our daughter is already his princess. . .   I don't want to disappoint him in anyway.  

She is going to be your princess too. IMO a name is something that both people need to very much agree on. Maybe keep looking.

I very much dislike the name. I like Adele though. Kind of similar.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I know one Adelaide; she lives in Germany and goes by the nickname Leida (pronounced LAY-dah). That might be an option for you, since you don't like Addy.

Adelaide has been on our short-short list for a long time. We're strongly considering striking it, however, because it's booming popularity. It's in the 500s now, but is one the names expected to have made one of the largest leaps in popularity when the 2010 SSA lists come out in May. I have no proof, but I'm convinced that most people are choosing it as an "adventurous Addy name." Either way, trendy rises in popularity scare me to death, so we wont be using it any time soon.

• Options

I believe Heidi can be a nickname for Adelaide (at least, it was in the 1937 movie starring Shirley Temple).

ETA: Adelaide is a nice name, but I would prefer a nickname for everyday use. It can be hard to come up with a name that you both love, but I think you should try to find something that you both at least like. If it means that much to him, maybe you could compromise by getting to choose the middle name. My H also had his heart set on a name and even though it wasn't something that I would've picked on my own, we did end up using it for our DD and I'm glad we did because it meant so much to him.

• Options

imageMrsFinn810:
    I believe Heidi can be a nickname for Adelaide (at least, it was in the 1937 movie starring Shirley Temple).

Heidi is a common nickname for Adelaide (at least in Europe).  Adelaide was Heidi's full-name in the book, too.

• Options
    imagekryssy:

imageMrsFinn810:

Heidi is a common nickname for Adelaide (at least in Europe).  Adelaide was Heidi's full-name in the book, too.

I haven't actually read the book so I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks!

• Options
    Honestly? I absolutely LOVE this name! I think it's gorgeous and a refreshing alternative to *coughuglycough* Addison. I think Adelaide is absolutely lovely. It would be a shame if it wasn't used.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options
    imageoolalaa21:

Yes, Im right there with you.  That is a concern of mine.  And I dont even like the name Addy/Addie for a nickname.  We would definitely need to come up with another nickname for her.  Any ideas?

Nicknames! Ally, Leda, Laida, Delia, Della, Ida, Ada (I vote for Ada!)

Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
  • Options
    This was my great Aunt's name.  I grew up associating it with an old lady but I think it's a pretty name.  I know a few baby's named Adelaide and are called Addy.  My great aunt was called Del and it was cute.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket
  • Options
     I LOVE this name, it's on our list!! I think it is such a pretty name!
  • Options
    What about Adele? (ah-dell) Not sure on correct spelling, but I've always liked the name and it's a very similar sound.
  • Options

imageAngel0423:
    What about Adele? (ah-dell) Not sure on correct spelling, but I've always liked the name and it's a very similar sound.

Your picture with your hubby is completely beautiful. :)

• Options

I never used to not like but it's our French E. Student's little sister's name. She's six and so cute, so the more he says it the more it grows on me.

He calls her Della for short a lot though.

• Options
    imageoolalaa21:

Yeah, we got stuck with that, our daughter's name is similar, and my husband wanted to call her 'Addie' so now there are a billion of them... bah!

• Options
    Love the name Adelaide, and I would call her just that- Adelaide. I don't think it needs a nickname at all.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I think it's nice!
  • Options
    I LOVE it!
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"