Northern California Babies
Options

Pumping and flange fit ?s

I've been pumping at every feeding (so every 2-3 hours) because I'm still not making enough to satisfy DS.  At first I was using the standard flange that came with the hospital pump until my girlfriend asked about the fit...I had no idea there were different sizes.  So I went up to the 30 mm size and thought all was well...my nipples weren't rubbing and I was getting more milk than with the regular size.  Now, I'm starting to feel rubbing on the areola part (like the base where it is drawn into the flange) and there is a ring around my nipple when I'm done pumping.  It's also sore and irritated at that ring.  So my question is, are my flanges now too big or too small?  I have the insert that makes them 28.5mm but I'm not sure if I need to go up a size or down a size...help!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pumping and flange fit ?s

• Options
    I think it has to do with your nipple/aureole size.  My LC suggested that I go up in size.  If you're already irritated/sensitive, she suggested using lanolin even when I pumped to help with chafing.  Not sure if any of this is right for you though.  :(
    Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

imageSweetieP:
    I think it has to do with your nipple/aureole size.  My LC suggested that I go up in size.  If you're already irritated/sensitive, she suggested using lanolin even when I pumped to help with chafing.  Not sure if any of this is right for you though.  :(

Thank you...I was going to try the lanolin next time to see if that helps with the irritation.  I'm just not sure about the size.  I would call the LC, but they aren't open today so I'm sorta stuck until Monday!  I've been googling and researching, but I can't find a definitve answer.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Take a look at this diagram. Might help. I always have my nipples be bigger at the end of pumping than before, but you shouldn't feel any rubbing.

• Options
    imageAvaLikeLava:

Take a look at this diagram. Might help. I always have my nipples be bigger at the end of pumping than before, but you shouldn't feel any rubbing.

Mine are bigger after pumping also but return to their normal size. I'm pretty sure the pump is pulling in my areola but I thought it was supposed to? I think I'll have to go buy the next bigger size to find out...should have bought stock in Babies R Us! I've been there every day this week!
  • Options
    The fact that you're having a ring mark below the nipple makes me think you need the 28.5 - if you already have that size I'd try it. For me the regular size pinched the nipple part/rubbed it against the flange, and the 30mm one pulled TOO much in, sucking on the aeraola too much, with the 28.5 being the best fit/although I still shift it around once per session to avoid getting an irritated spot.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Options
    imageMystery2B:
    The fact that you're having a ring mark below the nipple makes me think you need the 28.5 - if you already have that size I'd try it. For me the regular size pinched the nipple part/rubbed it against the flange, and the 30mm one pulled TOO much in, sucking on the aeraola too much, with the 28.5 being the best fit/although I still shift it around once per session to avoid getting an irritated spot.
    Ok...this is what I was leaning toward. Thanks for the reassurance. It's just so hard to see what's going on with the 28mm size because it's an insert not a piece by itself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"