June 2011 Moms

Advice! Help please

Hey Ladies-

We have had our towhome on the market for a year in January... gaggg... and I am debating what to do. We bought all the furniture and stuff for the nursery and I am trying to decide if we should clean out the second bedroom/guest room and turn it into a nursery around Feb? Do you guys think that would be a waste? Or do you think we should just proceed as though we will be here for a while? I am torn, we have tons of houses picked out, but as you know the market has tanked for houses and all but stopped for townhomes. Any advice or opinions are much appreciated! Thanks Ladies!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Advice! Help please

• I would say go ahead and make it your nursery.  You don't want to be inconvenienced with a new baby.  You want to make sure you have things set up the way you want them.  And maybe if you set it up like you'll be there a while, the house will sell lol.  Murphy's law right?
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I might wait a little longer than February, but I would go ahead and set up before the abby comes.  We are planning to set up the nursery around March/April. 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We have been listed for 9 months so I feel your pain. We are going to make a nursery as if we were staying here. as much as I hate it, it is a reality. We will probaby give up on selling once the baby is born. We cant lower the price anymore and it seems like no one is buying. Good luck!
  • I see nothing wrong with setting up a nursery. If you are concerned about people not being able to see it as more, take some pictures of it now as a guest bedroom. You can show off the room both ways, and people may see how versitle it is and it may help it sell.

If you are worried about putting so much into the nursery and the time and money wasted here are some tips for that:

Don't paint the walls pink, blue, etc. Leave them, or paint them, a nutral color. This will help the townhouse sell. Instead put up pictures, curtins, and those plastic wall stickers for kids that you can take on and off.You can take it all with you if the house sells, and put it up at the new one. Decorations can get expense, so make some of them. It's fun to do while you are day dreaming about the little one yet to be born. You can use the computer, paint, draw, or sew. You can use wood, material, beads, foam, or anything you can think of. Have fun with it.

If you are unsure of the size of a nursery in a new house, or the current one is smaller. Just buy the basic furniture for now. You can always buy some more later.

Keep any major remodeling to things that will help the house sell. Keep any personal remodeling easily removed and possibly taken with you.

While a lot of sales agents say the less personalization the better, you don't want to seem like you dislike the house. Having a nursey will show the buyers that you are happy with the townhouse, it's just time for relocation. Not haveing one, will say that you can't stand the house and want to get out.

Don't be afraid to enjoy! Just be wise in your decisions. Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really like all the advice on the post above. I feel your pain....we have been on the market for 7 months, and I am not too confident that we will sell before the baby is born.

If I had a bedroom for the nursery, I'd probably start working on it around March or April. Unfortunately, we are in a one bedroom condo.... so we haven't really decided what we are going to do with the baby stuff, while still keeping the place in somewhat show-able condition. 

I don't think we will take it off the market, even when the baby comes. We NEED to move :/ 

• You guys are awesome!!! Thank you so much for your advice. I will def. take it into account. The reassurance makes me know that I'm not crazy!!! Thank you again! Good luck to all those selling! Also, enjoy your new year with your sparkling cidar! :)
  • This may not workout for you since you're needing to set up a nursery for a new baby but when we sold our townhome last year in Sept, it was completely staged. We lived there the whole time it was listed but we have had to move out a lot of our stuff into DH's old room at his parents' to make room for the props from our stager. Our REA hired her own stager in order for our townhome to sell. She was really motivated. Anyway, I know the pain of trying to sell a townhome in this crappy market. Gladly though, our townhome sold after 3 months. I believe the staging really helped it a lot. While we lived there, we kept the decor neutral and very minimum, like no one lived there! I think it worked for us.

Sorry, I know this may not be what you're looking to hear. But I hope it works out in the end! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"