Nurseries and Baby Gear

moby sling wraps

i'm still about 10 days away from being able to take a pregnancy test (we're TTC), but already i've got baby on the brain.  i've already started baby gear browsing, and in looking at different slings/carriers, i came across the moby sling wraps.  i've seen demos on youtube of how to wrap them, and i am totally in LOVE with the idea!!!

with my first 2, i was constantly holding them.  and even bought one of those baby carriers (the kind that look like a backpack on your front), but i hated it because it was just too big and bulky.  but, when i saw the moby wraps, they look amazing and right up my alley!

i would LOVE to hear from the mommies who use/have used them!!  did you have difficulties at first learning how to wrap?  were you able to breastfeed comfortably with them in the moby?  did it create a strain on your back, if so, after how long?

also, if you used a sling wrap, but it wasn't moby brand, what brand did you use and would you recommend it?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
newest addition: Ender Greyson!
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimageimage

Re: moby sling wraps

• I have one and have just started trying to use it in the last week.  I was about to give up on it b/c everytime I tried to put DD in it, she screamed her head off.  But finally had success last night and again today.  I just had to find the right hold for her- there are multiple ways to use it.  So far, I haven't tried BF in it but I think with a little more practice and maybe when she's got better head control, we can pull it off.  I will say that it does cause a little back strain but I think this is just because I haven't perfected the tie yet and I need a little more practice.  Overall, I am pleased with it.  I also have a Kozy Carrier and she seems to like it as well.  To me, it's easier to use so it will be my primary carrier for on the go and the Moby will mostly be for at home.

• I have a sleepy wrap -- it's kind of like the moby but with thicker, more "Sweatshirt like" material. I think it's great, esp for a winter baby because I can wrap her up in it and it keeps us both warm (it's like wearing a sweatshirt once you have it spread out across your back).

I actually have FOUR different carriers and I use each for a different purpose. I find the stretchy wraps are best for long hikes (I walk 3 miles a day with her in it) with newborns, or as a sort of "on body" swaddle -- i pop her in and walk her around the house when she's being fussy. But I know as she gets heavier, it won't be the right choice anymore. 

• Loading the player...
  • I love our Moby wrap.  DS likes it too and sleeps really well in it.  I didn't have any problems learning how to tie it but there are youtube videos if you're having trouble.  I've worn it to many sporting events and on airplanes and it was very comfortable, even after 4+ hours.

I never tried the breastfeeding hold in it.  I just took DS out to feed him.  It worked well because he could get a little break from being in there and I usually needed to change his diaper anyway.

If you want more info on other carriers you should check out the Attachment Parenting board.  They are a good resource on baby wearing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• I don't have a Moby brand wrap, but I have one that's exactly the same design and slightly less expensive (I think it's Parents of Invention or something like that?). I have a few different carriers actually, and here's how I used them and some pros/cons:

Sling (a very fitted one - not like the ones that hang away from you): used it daily from birth to about two months ago when my daughter's foot positioning over my growing belly started to be uncomfortable (but if I wasn't pregnant, I'd be using it daily still and she's 20 months); easy on/off for quick errands, frees up both hands for carrying bags, etc., and if it fits tight to you it's comfortable on your shoulder/back, plus works for all stages of your baby/toddlers growth/sitting positions, also, you can nurse with it (though I had to EP with my daughter, so I haven't tried it).

Moby-type wrap: used weekly from birth to six months when my daughter got too long to front carry without bumping my chin constantly lol; BEST carrier I found for distributing weight - no pain at all while using it, hard to put on quickly, but great for long term wearing - like walks/hikes/museums, etc, plus again you can breast feed in it. (If you like this idea, look around at the different variations like Mei Tai and on Etsy at handmade ones - other similar options that are popular and can be made in colors that you like.)

Baby Bjorn: my husband used this from whatever the weight is (maybe 1 month with my daughter? she was tiny) to about six months; had the older style (new ones have waist support) and it just hung on my trapezoids and gave me the worst shoulder/back ache after twenty minutes, which is why my husband was the only one to use it, plus it's expensive considering how uncomfortable it is to wear, a pro is it's easy on/off compared to the Moby.

Deuter Kid Comfort II backpack: six months-present, and probably till my daughter's at least 4 yrs (rated to 50 lbs); expensive, but if you love to walk/hike, an amazing back pack; we bought this because we hike regularly and back carrying in the Moby or something like the Ergo has the baby up against you, whereas the back pack has her higher up away from us so she can look around and not overheat; we also use this in the airport when we travel because it's way easier than pushing a big stroller. (Actually, my avatar is a pic of me with my daughter in the back pack - she loves it! : )

• I have a moby-and It is great so far for around the house with a newborn who will not be put down!  My LO loves it and naps very well, and it lets me finish getting ready, make a snack, get the mail etc.  I haven't had any trouble with putting it on, and even went out for a walk yesterday with him in it and was very comfortable.  It does seem to keep LO very warm-so I usually keep him in just a light onesie while he is in it, but I live in Texas and it was 70 degrees yesterday!  DH claims he will not be caught dead in it, and I am a little concerned about putting it on while out in public, because I am not sure how to keep the ends off the ground while wrapping it.  I also have the $25 Infantino carrier- and DH has used it a few times around the house, but I still feel like LO is still a little to floppy for it.  Someone gave me a Hotsling yesterday, and I am trying that out as soon as LO gets more head control.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"