June 2011 Moms

flu shot or not?

my obgyn highly recommends the shot, however my primary doc advised me agaist it when i went at eleven weeks.  when i went for my sixteen week appointment my obgyn scared the crap out of me for not getting it.  the shot scares me but so does the flu...what did you all decide and how did you come to that decision?  

Re: flu shot or not?

• I plan to get it...I have every year for a while now.  I would have had it already - I scheduled them for work back in October.  However, when it was my turn to get my shot, I told the nurse there was a possibility I could be pregnant so she advised me to see my doctor first.  Doctor wants me to have it.  However...I've been so busy at work the last few months I just haven't found the time to get it!  Maybe next week...once this nasty head cold is gone.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I got one. The risks associated with the shot were way lower than the risks associated with a bad flu IMO. 
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My OB wanted me to get it after 1st trimester, so I did at 13 weeks. They may be able to do it anytime at a drugstore.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My OB highly advised it. When I questioned her (I've never had one before)...she said that if I were to get the flu and get psneumonia my baby could be toast. LO would not get the proper oxygen. Her exact words. I got it
  • I have never had the flu or the flu shot.

But I got one this year at my first appointment - about 10 weeks

• I got one 2 weeks ago (a little later than what my primary and my OB would have wanted). I wasn't nervous about the shot -- I was nervous because I've never had a flu shot and didn't know if I would be allergic to it. It came down to the fact that I get sick really easily and I'm around my sister's kids a lot and they're always coming down with the flu. I was nervous for a week after I had the shot but everything went smoothly.

I would say, if your only concern is getting a needle stuck in your arm, to just go ahead and do it -- it's only a few seconds of being uncomfortable.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MPZ born June 2011
    TTC #2 ... Cycle 1-3: IUI = BFN | Cycle 4: IVF ... canceled but 3 snow babies
    Cycle 5: FET .. BFP! | EDD - 3/15/2014
  • I did mine at the 12 week appointment. My doctor advised it, so that's why I got it. 
  • I got mine at my 12 week appointment. My doctor said that its safe for pregnant women and that the flu can be very dangerous when you're pregnant. So for me, any sort of risk from the shot (which I think are very minimal) were drastically outweighed by the risks associated with getting the flu while pregnant.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • I got one. My OB highly recommended me getting one..she went over the negative effects if I didn't, so that was a no-brainer for me!!
  • I got one.  I never had the flu or a flu shot before, but my doctor was adamant about me getting the shot.  He said it was VERY dangerous for a pregnant woman to get the flu.  I also have a friend who is a labor and delivery nurse.  She said that a fever could push a third tri woman into early labor.  

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• I got the flu shot bc my OB highly recommended it as well.  And for the same reasons someone mentioned above, that if i were to get a respiratory infection or pneumonia, it would be very damaging for the baby.  I still got the flu, however, but it wasnt as bad as some had been getting it in my area!  You always just need to do what your comfortable with!
  • Well, I did not get the flu shot.  Last year because we were TTC I got both of the flu vaccines, recommended by my doctor.  I have never been so sick before in my life, it did not react well with me.  So this year I am not getting the vaccine and I'm ensuring that my hygiene (hand washing, sanitizing) is strict.
  • I have only had it once. Last year with the high N1H1 virus was strong enough to scare me. I have never gotten it when pregnant in the past, so I wont this time around either.
  • I get it every year, but then again, I work in the school system with 2-12 year olds and am exposed to every germ known to man. Even if I wasn't, I'd probably still get it. My midwives practice recommended to wait until 2nd tri, but when I was there for my 11 week appointment, then said "close enough" and gave it to me anyway.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I never get the flu shot, and I never get the flu.  I asked my nurse about it out of curiosity and she said I could take it, but she nor my OBGYN have pushed it.
  • Please get the flu shot. I work in a hospital and personally have seen 2 pregnant women die last year of the flu. Your immune system is compromised while pregnant putting you at risk. 

The flu shot is safe and recommended by the CDC and march of dimes as well as most obgyns. It is safe during any trimester. You may hear to get it after the first trimester, this is because that is the trimester where the miscarriage risk is the highest and no one wants the flu vaccine to get a bad rap if a pregnant women gets one in the 1st tri and m/c's(not related to the shot).

The shot is safe, do not get the nasal mist as this is contraindicated in pregnant women. You may feel crappy after the shot for a day or two, but you can not get the actual flu from the shot. You are also providing your new baby with immunity that will help him/her in the first few moths of their life.

I hope that helps and you get the shot asap. Good luck with your decision.

• I got one at 9 weeks. My OB office highly recommended it. I don't normally get one but I thought not getting the flu this year was worth it any small risk.
  • In the past I've always gotten it, so I plan to this year as well. But my OB hasn't said a word to me about it?! My PCP told me to wait til January because the seasonal flu doesn't usually hit our area til February or March, so in his opinion, it's better to wait til closer to Flu Season. I plan to ask about what I should do at my next OB visit in two weeks.
  • My OB didn't want me to get it during the first trimester, but suggested it once I reached the 2nd. I got it a couple weeks ago and I'm glad I did.
  • I have never had the flu shot but I have a horrible imune system and always get sick every winter. So the doctor at my 1st appointment suggested I get it and so I did. 24 hours later I had the worst reaction. I was throwing up and had diareah at the same time for about 6 hours straight. Everything is fine and the baby was ok, THANK GOD!  Then to top it off I have already gotten sick once this winter..... So.... not sure if it was worth it to me! But all the doctors push it so hard on you.

Our World!!

Blaine Emerson                  Bailey Rae

3-31-14                               6-10-11

image image
  • Ive never had the flu shot since I left school, Mostly for personal believes regarding the imune system. My dr has yet to mention it but I know I wont be getting one. We had N1H1 last year and in previous years when I have had Flu I simply sleep for 2 or 3 days and let my body handle it after the rest im back to my normal self.

It's simply something im not concerned about

• My OB said I have to get one after the first tri.  I still haven't.  They do them at my OB office so I have to remember to ask for one at my next appointment.

I really don't want to because I've never gotten one before, but I know I need to listen to the doctor.

• imagenic5606:

Please get the flu shot. I work in a hospital and personally have seen 2 pregnant women die last year of the flu. Your immune system is compromised while pregnant putting you at risk. 

The flu shot is safe and recommended by the CDC and march of dimes as well as most obgyns. It is safe during any trimester. You may hear to get it after the first trimester, this is because that is the trimester where the miscarriage risk is the highest and no one wants the flu vaccine to get a bad rap if a pregnant women gets one in the 1st tri and m/c's(not related to the shot).

The shot is safe, do not get the nasal mist as this is contraindicated in pregnant women. You may feel crappy after the shot for a day or two, but you can not get the actual flu from the shot. You are also providing your new baby with immunity that will help him/her in the first few moths of their life.

I hope that helps and you get the shot asap. Good luck with your decision.

This.  I work in a hospital too, so I get one every year.  I have a lot of friends who are anti, and I never push non-pregnant friends about getting the flu vaccine, but the risks associated with flu for pregnant women are SOOOOO much worse than the risks associated with the vaccine.  It is really important.

Also, in response to a few other comments about getting sick already this winter despite having gotten the vaccine, the flu vaccine doesn't prevent all colds and sicknesses, only the influenza virus, which can be very dangerous. 

• I realize that I am in the minority but I did not/ am not getting the flu shot.  Last year, I got it for the first time ever because we started TTC in January of this year.  I had a very bad reaction that I don't want to repeat.  Like most OBs, mine recommended that I get one but I'm not based on my experience last year.
  • They are out at my hospital and midwife's office, so it's not an option atm.  I had the flu my last pregnancy and it was awful, so I would have considered it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"