Blended Families

Advice needed - Should we give my ex money?

My ex called me earlier this week and I have spent a lot of time thinking & just can't come to a decision. He quit his job 1 month after I filed for child support. (I got 2 payments) His reasoning? "After I pay probation, motercyle insurance and child support I only take home $120 a month and that isn't enough." Right....because having no income is better? Anyways he asked if by the time tax season rolls around if he hasn't found another job yet if I can send him 100$ to get his taxes done. He said he recieved a letter from the child spprt office advising him they will have to garnish his taxes because he is 2 months behind right now. IF we truely will be recieving the money dh & I have no problem paying the $100, but we will send a money order payable to wherever he is going.

The second part of his question was if I could send some of the tax return back to him. He said he thinks his tax return should be about $1500 - 2K and he wants 500$ of it so he can buy his tools since he is suppose to graduate soon & all of his grant money has been going towards paying probation & taking care of his other son. (apparently in the state of FL you have to pay $175/month for your probation) He thinks of it as a win-win. In the courts eyes it looks like he is all paid up & current, we get some money & then he can buy his tools & *hopefully* get a job. IF the tax return really is that amount then I have no problem sending $500 back but dh firmly believes we should keep it and I don't want to start an argument. But if the tax return is only $800 or $1000 then I am not as eager to send him anything.

One more probelm. During our last year together when he filed for unemployment he chose to go tax exempt. As far as I know he hasn't filed a tax return since then. So there is even an chance that we could pay the $100 and not even end up with anything! What are your suggestions?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Advice needed - Should we give my ex money?

• I wouldn't give him a dime.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • its $19.95 to file online with Turbo Tax....so offer $20.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCurlyQ284:
    I wouldn't give him a dime.

He quit his job to get out of paying his obligations and now is asking you to pay for him b/c it will likely show up if he does not pay taxes!  If you pay the $100 realize that you likely will not see any money.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • imageCurlyQ284:
    I wouldn't give him a dime.

Yes

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • This is a really bad idea - do not give him anything.

• I agree with NOT giving him anything. These are not your problems, and you have no obligation to bail him out whatsoever. Yes, he owes you money, but the court/state will make sure you get it so you don't have to.
  • Another vote for not giving him a dime.
    ~Amy
  • Hmm....that is a lot of swift replies for no. I like the Turbo Tax idea. Does anyone know how that will work if he hasn't filed in several years? If he happens to owe back taxes?
  • He can also go on to taxact.com and file there. I believe it is free, but that if you choose to electronically deposit the money there is a small like $20 fee. I dont understand why he hasnt filed in so many years but is going to this year? And is it his year to claim the child or yours? I dont know, why should you be expected to help him out so he can get his tools but he didnt want to help you or your child out by paying his child support?
  • ummm, I'm with the not a dime club.
  • imageslprice79:
    And is it his year to claim the child or yours??

NO, I had it written in the CO that I get to claim ds every year.

• My first thought was Turbotax as well. It walks you through step by step for even the 1040 long form so unless his taxes are ridiculously complicated I don't see why he can't use that. He can file his federal taxes for free and it's $30 for state forms, or $20 if he's used Turbotax before. Honestly it's worth it to pay the fee to file state taxes because IMO state taxes are a bigger pain in the butt to do.

I can see why you would want to help him but it looks like he dug himself into this hole. Had he not quit his job to try to get out of paying child support, I would probably feel a little more sympathetic.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

image Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 11/23/10 MMC @ 7w3d Discovered @ 10w2d D&C 1/12/11

BFP 7/6/11 Our Lucky Charm born 3/5/12
  • I think it's insane you are even consisting this. You have been more than patient and accommodating towards him. More so than I think anyone else would have in your situation. I would go w turbo tax if you must. He needs to seriously grow the eff up. Edit: insane was spelled wrong. Durrrr
    Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • There is no way in hell I would help him! He sounds so much like Ds1 BF. He got himself into this mess and it isn't your job to help get him out.

• Wow.  He sure has some balls to ask something like that doesn't he?  Especially since he quit his job to avoid paying cs.  Does he realize that quitting his job will not make the cs obligation go away? If so, I'll bet he doesn't think you will go after him for it.  He is a first class loser. He can get the money from his momma, not your problem
  • Not a cent. He has made bad decisions that have landed him in this mess. In addition to not contributing to his own child, he wants you and your husband to bail him out - you'd never seen this money again. Stay strong and say no.
  • No freakin' way... it's up to HIM to clean up his own mess.

Maybe he should sell his motorcycle for some cash if he's really that hard up!

• Well, there is nothing like 18 people with all the same answer to put things into perspective for you! You are right, he did purposly dig his own hole with the hopes and expectations that I would help him get out of it. Regardless of how much I hate him there is still a part of me that wants to help him and take care of him. And he knows this. I will tell him that we are not bailing him out of this situation. Thanks ladies!
  • Late to the party but I'm glad to hear you're not going to be helping him out. He doesn't seem to care about his financial responsibilities at all and he can turn to his family to help dig him out the hole he chose to dig for himself. 
  • Uhm, dude is a doucher. He quit his job to avoid paying child support. What makes you think he won't take your $100, spend it on hookers and blow then tell you he doesn't know why they haven't give you the money?

Well maybe not hookers and blow but alcohol and bar skanks. But you get the picture.

Why do you feel the need to be so nice to him? Dude is making conscious decisions to short change your child. Instead of thinking about giving him money, you should be resisting the urge to junk punch his little biitch ass for having the nerve to ask you for money when he owes your child money.

Click me, click me!
  • I'm putting this in all-caps so you don't miss it.

HE CAN FILE FOR FREE AT WWW.IRS.GOV AND FOLLOW THE LINKS FOR LOW INCOME FILERS if his income was below the applicable threshhold.  (2009 the threshhold was $57,000 for FreeFile.)

It will be active after January 14, 2011 per the website.

If you want to "play nice" why don't you volunteer to "help" do his taxes so you can be sure it gets done and you get your money?  ;)

Photobucket
  • imageMrsBPO:

I'm putting this in all-caps so you don't miss it.

HE CAN FILE FOR FREE AT WWW.IRS.GOV AND FOLLOW THE LINKS FOR LOW INCOME FILERS if his income was below the applicable threshhold.  (2009 the threshhold was $57,000 for FreeFile.)

It will be active after January 14, 2011 per the website.

If you want to "play nice" why don't you volunteer to "help" do his taxes so you can be sure it gets done and you get your money?  ;)

This is fantastic advice! Thanks for sharing, I'll e-mail him this info now.

• I know there are places around here where if you make under xyz amount (and 0 would fall under that!) they will do them/help you with them for free.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"