mini-pill= decreased supply?? — The Bump
Breastfeeding

mini-pill= decreased supply??

Is anyone on the mini-pill?  I started it on Sunday and I swear my supply has lowered since then.  It might just be in my head, but I don't think it is.  DD isn't going hungry or anything, but I used to pump 5+ oz at a time and now it is more like 3-4 oz.  This is making it difficult to build up a supply for leaving her with a babysitter and I'm worried that if I stay on it that it might drop too low and I would have to supplement DD way before I wanted to. 

If anyone has had this happen, did you quit taking it and your supply increased or remained the same?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
a little bit of life : A blog about the life of a working, crafting, adventuring family of 4.

Re: mini-pill= decreased supply??

• I was nursing really well at 3 weeks so my doc started me on the mini pill at 4 weeks.  Two weeks later my milk was almost completely gone!  LO wasn't gaining weight and I had to start supplementing.  Its been over 2 weeks now, and with frequent pumping, nursing, and fenugreek 3x day my supply is coming back.  I am sensitive to medication so it makes sense that I would be one of those women sensitive to BCP.  Many people don't have a problem though.

• I went on it at 6 weeks pp, and definitely noticed a drop.  I was also having issues at that time w/my supply and I think this didn't help.  I was having to supplement w/formula to keep up.

I ended up going off it, using fenugreek/mother's milk tea and was able to get to a point where DS has been EBF for quite awhile now.  I went back on the mini-pill about 3 months ago and I've had no problems.  I think having my milk supply firmly established may have helped, I don't know.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • i've been on it for a couple of weeks.  however, its hard to judge whether it caused my supply to go down because around 6-12 weeks your supply stabilizes to what LO actually needs.  this article from kellymom really helps: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/breast-fullness.html

i'm still making plenty and really don't mind that my oversupply is finally calming down.  i do not think the pill affected my supply.  i really just think i hit a normal change of breastfeeding.  however, as a SAHM i really don't need a big stash so it doesn't bother me that i'm pumping less.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• Thanks for the replies.  Just to see what would happen, I did not take the pill yesterday.  By the evening, I was back up to what my supply was a week ago before I started taking the pill.  It has been 48 hours since I took it and I just fed DD and then got a decent amount out of pumping.  This might be considered an over supply, but I would rather be able to build up my stash then drying up early!  So no more pill for me for a little while!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    a little bit of life : A blog about the life of a working, crafting, adventuring family of 4.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards