Baby Showers
Options

cancelled shower what to do?!

Hey Ladies,

I have to cancel my baby shower that is out of town because the doctor isn't allowing me to fly.  I'm so sad, but I know its for the best to keep my little girl safe. I know everyone will understand, but what is the best way to let everyone know that its canceled? The shower was going to be January 22nd. I don't have some of the people e-mail addresses only their mailing addresses. Should I send a card letting them know or should the hostess? I can let most of them know via facebook, but I think thats kind of tacky. What do you all think?

Thanks for any tips! 

Re: cancelled shower what to do?!

• Options

I think a personal phone call would be appropriate.  True, this isn't efficient, but it is the best way to reach your guests on an individual level.  Chances are your guests will be disappointed for you, and will appreciate the gesture.

If you don't reach them, just leave them a voicemail telling them you need to speak with them about the shower; don't tell them on vm that it's been cancelled.  Is there a friend/family member or shower hostess that could help you make the calls?

Stephanie Hsu
  • Options
    To me, this falls under hostess responsibility but you and the hostess could split the guest list and call everyone.  That would be the fastest way to spread the word and share the work.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with the phone calls.  The hostess should be calling all of these people.  Maybe you can post-pone it until after your DD is born.  Don't do facebook since people that were not invited will see most likely and maybe they will wonder why they were not invited.  Who knows...facebook is never a good idea for invites.
  • Options
    So sorry, that just stinks!  I agree with everyone that a phone call is the way to do it.  I would split the list and have the host call people that she personally knows and you call people that only you know.  If it was going to be a large shower, your mom or MIL could help you call family.
  • Options
    A friend had to go on bedrest and her shower had to be canceled.  Her aunts were hosting, so they split up the guest list and called everyone.  They also asked that people call back to confirm they'd gotten the message if messages were left, so nobody missed the change in plans. Sending cards will take too long.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Definitely make personal phone calls yourself. Part of the fun in an OOT shower is to catch up with the people who have not seen you in a while. They will want to talk to you and it will be the right thing to do to spend 5-10 minutes on the phone with them letting them know what is going on with you and the baby. They will want to give their best wishes to you and not the hostess.

And not that getting gifts should be a consideration at all, but I think they will be more likely to send you a gift if they get to talk to you. They will inevitably ask about what to do with any gifts they have already bought, or they will ask what you need.

Make the calls yourself. It's the right thing to do, even if it takes you several evenings to get them all done. You might even enjoy the opportunity to chat one on one with some of your guests. If you think anyone might have made travel arrangements though, call them first.

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Options
    Bummer! Maybe you can reschedule after DD gets here, I am sure they'd all love to meet her!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"