Breastfeeding

boobs are on fire!

so my milk came in late last nite which is awesome, but now they are so engorged that it hurts so bad! she is nursing like normal and even for a longer period of time but they are still rock hard. i would really appreciate any advicehelp on how to help with this. i already took a hot shower and used hot wash clothes and massaged them but just was wondering if there is anything else i could do. tia.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: boobs are on fire!

• Its gonna just take some time.  Keep doing what your doing.  I would get in a warm shower and let the water hit my boobs.  This helped a lot.  Just keep nursing as much as LO will eat.  It lasted about 4 days or so for me.  If it gets TOO bad, take some cabbage leaves (or raw potato slices) and place them in your bra.  Leave them in for about 15 min and switch them out with new ones.  Do this for about an hour.  It helped me when I had mastitis.  You can also call the local LC for advice if this doesn't help.  Hang in there.... ~hugs~
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree - give your body some time to adjust and it will work itself out.  You could always pump to relieve the engorgement but that might stimulate your supply.  Couldn't hurt if you want to freeze some milk for later though!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • image*Kingston*:

I agree - give your body some time to adjust and it will work itself out.  You could always pump to relieve the engorgement but that might stimulate your supply.  Couldn't hurt if you want to freeze some milk for later though!

If you do pump, I would only do so for a few minutes on each side.  I think it might make it worse.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I pumped a little when my milk came in and I was engorged.  I only pumped like 1oz from one side, but it helped.  I was so engorged LO couldn't latch on properly. 
  • thank you ladies. i will give it some time just seeing if there was some sort of relief for now but...looks like another shower for me. lol. thank you again!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"