Attachment Parenting

XP: Irrational Fear of using Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper

I posted this under nursery too, but thought some of the ladies on here might have some input. I really like the idea of the Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper. But I have this (potentially irrational) fear that I will kick my blankets or pillow off and smother the baby. I wake up all the time with my pillows or blanket piled up on the ground next to my bed. For those of you that have one, please tell me I'm just a crazy first-time mom over thinking everything :-)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: Irrational Fear of using Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper

• I have a co-sleeper and love it.  My son refused to sleep in it at first and slept in bed with us, but we have gradually been moving him to the co-sleeper and he is doing well. And it is wonderful to have him so close for night time nursing.  I'm not afraid of my blankets ending up on him.  Granted, I don't move around much when I sleep, but you'll probably realize that your senses about your baby are extremely heightened.  I am so connected to him and his needs.  Often I will wake up a few minutes before he does.  I am nervous about everything with him (he is my first), but I don't think you should be overly nervous about this.  Maybe try to keep most of the length of the blankets on the other side of the bed, just have enough near you to cover you?  Good luck!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We have our crib side-carred and I had this fear, too. Also my husband thrashed like a crazy person in his sleep.

Both of those behaviors stopped when baz came home. You will be aware. And the frequent night wakings will help you be aware. 

The best course, though, is to warm up the room (space heater) and decrease the amount of "fluff" on your bed. It's the safest course.

• Loading the player...
  • DH used to call me the "tornado" before we had DS.  I would thrash, covers would be everywhere.  I would often wake up without a pillow.  As soon as DS was born and we started co-sleeping, that all stopped.  I don't move in my sleep anymore, which is great for co-sleeping but now I wake up every day sore as heck!  You'll be amazed at how your sleeping changes and how aware you are of your LO.
  • We used an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper and two friends have borrowed mine since we were done with it, I raved about it so much to them. I don't know about the kicking blankets thing since our blankets usually end up kicked to the foot of our bed, not the sides, but I will tell you that once you're a mom, you are much more aware of your baby while you sleep. No matter how exhausted I was, all DD had to do was stir ever so slightly or moan in her sleep to wake me right up. I'm a person whose college roommates used to mock because they could vacuum the apartment and I would sleep right through it, but now if DD just coughs over the monitor, it wakes me up.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Great, thanks for the reassurance! I think we'll get it setup a few weeks before he's born so I can get used to the idea of it and hopefully get over this fear.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"