Natural Birth

ECV vs not

I'm 35 weeks, LO is still breech and if that's the case this time next week I had been thinking that I would go ahead and schedule an external version.  I've been doing acupuncture, moxibustion, hypnosis, inversions, etc etc etc.  But then my doula (and good friend) came over for dinner the other night and to really start talking birth stuff and she's very adamently opposed to external versions.  I'm not sure...  I see what she means - there's some risk, it hurts, etc.  But (I'm thinking) on the other hand, there is more risk with a c-section if the baby doesn't turn on it's own and recovery from a version must take less than a recovery from a c-section.  Has anyone had any experience with this?  Looking for opinions!

Re: ECV vs not

• ECVs are done in a very controlled environment and with careful screening.  I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I wish they could do it with twins.

Here's my blog entry about my successful ECV:

https://seekingsibling.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/my-successful-external-cephalic-version-and-failed-induction/

If you want more kids, you also have to consider the risk of a VBAC and difficulty of finding a provider who will do one.

ETA: my ECV took zero recovery.  It was uncomfortable for about 2-3 minutes.  They monitored me for 30 minutes afterward.

• I guess she's your friend, so maybe that's why she's giving you advice, but I didn't think it was the role of the doula to give you their medical opinion. IMO, it would be great to turn your baby with acupuncture, chiropractic, body positioning, etc., but I would absolutely try the ECV before having a c-section. If I had known that DS was breech ahead of time, I would have tried everything. Maybe you could discuss timing for a version and try alternatives for a week or two first. Some OBs like to turn early (it's easier and can be repeated if necessary), and some prefer to wait (more likely that baby will turn on it's own, more likely to "stick", better outcome if ECV has complications or labor begins).
  • Loading the player...
  • Why is your doula against ECV?  If you don't try the ECV, what is the alternative?  Would you have a scheduled cesarean or would breech vaginal delivery be an option?

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was very happy with my successful version to turn our transverse baby. I was nervous about the risks, but I felt they were less risky than a (most likely) guaranteed CS (more of an issue with transverse than breech). That said, I do not believe they are recommended before 37 weeks (exactly when I had mine). If you need an emergency c/s you want a FT baby, also you want baby to be small enough to turn but big enough he'd have to really work hard to turn back.

• I think the ECV sounds scary (my sister had an unsuccessful one and said she would never do it again) but I would do it if my only other option was a planned C-section.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageschoolsoutbride:

ECVs are done in a very controlled environment and with careful screening.  I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I wish they could do it with twins.

If you want more kids, you also have to consider the risk of a VBAC and difficulty of finding a provider who will do one.

This, a hundred times.

I'm not really sure where all the awful stories about ECV come from, but encountering problems during one is certainly not the norm. Both OBs I talked to who do versions, as well as my midwives who routinely refer women for versions and have observed hundreds told me that they have never seen a complication serious enough to warrant any intervention more invasive than putting mom on her side with some oxygen. Recovery time for me was the hour of monitoring after the version, plus some tenderness for a few days.

There are risks, I'm not trying to argue against that. And it can hurt. The way I thought about it though, was that while the risks of ECV are minimal, not doing the ECV and having a c-section = 100% chance of my abdomen and uterus being cut open, a post-surgery recovery time, and the hassle of trying for a VBAC next time.

edit: Mine was not successful, and I am still very much in favor of giving it a try. Good luck! I hope LO turns on his/her own before then so your don't have to worry about it =)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was definitely assuming that your only option for breech delivery was a c-section when I responded. If you have the option for vaginal breech delivery, then you can consider the pros/cons of that vs. the ECV. I would probably still try the ECV, honestly.

• imageschoolsoutbride:

ECVs are done in a very controlled environment and with careful screening.  I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I wish they could do it with twins.

Here's my blog entry about my successful ECV:

https://seekingsibling.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/my-successful-external-cephalic-version-and-failed-induction/

ETA: my ECV took zero recovery.  It was uncomfortable for about 2-3 minutes.  They monitored me for 30 minutes afterward.

I read the blog before with all the breech baby tips! That is some good stuff thanks for posting!

• I also think, in my case, an ecv was less risky than a vaginal breech delivery.
  • Thanks everyone.  My option (if I don't do the ECV and LO stays breach or if the successful ECV doesn't stick) is to schedule a c-section.  I'm definitely going to try the ECV.  Sounds like the worse that can happen is that LO comes a bit earlier than we thought! 

• imageLittleEgypt:
    I guess she's your friend, so maybe that's why she's giving you advice, but I didn't think it was the role of the doula to give you their medical opinion.

Exactly! A doula should be giving you the pros and cons, and supporting whatever decision you choose.  It's your body and baby!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"