January 2011 Moms
Options

Carseat inspection--FAIL! (vent)

I have been procrastinating on getting the carseats inspected but THANK GOD I DID...

I had it ENTIRELY wrong

Yes, the seatbelt was in the WRONG place and the inspector pretty much laughed in my face.

(I have a good excuse, this is the first baby in my entire extended family for over 15 years, so I have never done this!)

This LO is my first and I hope I don't have too many more stupid moments...

Okay, vent over, thanks for those still reading.  :)

Photobucket Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers Beautiful pictures taken by the very talented Kaper

Re: Carseat inspection--FAIL! (vent)

• Options
    I want to get this done asap! I have a feeling I've got ours all wrong as well! It just doesn't feel as secure as I imagined it would...but then I haven't gotten my DH to tighten it, that might make a difference!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I think that's a pretty common mistake.  Don't beat yourself up about it.  It probably won't be the last time you feel dumb about something related to your LO.  I still have those moments all the time when it comes to my son.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagemjlewis101:
    I want to get this done asap! I have a feeling I've got ours all wrong as well! It just doesn't feel as secure as I imagined it would...but then I haven't gotten my DH to tighten it, that might make a difference!

If you need help finding an inspector near you, check out this website

seatcheck.org, it lists all the up to date places where inspectors are located.

I tried the police station and the fire dept....and they didn't have a carseat inspector! (Seemed weird to me, but maybe because I live in a REALLY small town).

Photobucket Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers Beautiful pictures taken by the very talented Kaper
  • Options

I had my inspection done today too and had it wrong (well, just not nearly as tight as it should be). What he said made sense and I, too, am glad I went to have it checked!! 

Don't feel bad - you went the extra step to have it inspected which makes you a GREAT mom!!

(Of course, for those that don't get it checked you aren't a bad mom so I hope that didn't come out wrong) 

• Options
    When I was in the hospital watching the newborn channel, they said that only 20% of seats are installed correctly, so just be happy that you made the effort to check it out.... some people never check theirs out. Our hospital did not inspect it!
  • Options

DH says I dont need to "worry" about because he knows how to install the seat properly (wont be his first child so I do give him some credit on things I may not know) but I still want to take it to get inspected just for my own peace of mind to know that I did all I could on my part, hope I dont hurt DH's feeling or make him him I dont trust him when I bring this up again :S

• Options

I made DH install the carseat on Monday, then we took it to be inspected... what a fiasco! That man was so upset by the time he finished... you'd think it was rocket sceince. All the way to the fire dept. he b!tched about it being the biggest carseat on the market and why didn't we get one instead of the 'smaller' ones (he meant a booster seat!!) like his nephew had 15 years ago... Me explaining that safety standards have changed a lot and that our carseat is NORMAL-sized only made him more angry.

Then, when the fire chief inspected it and showed DH the LATCH system, and repeated everything I'd said, DH was peaches'n'cream.

Glad I insisted on having it inspected, but seriously... ::headdesk::

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We didn't even attempt to install ours. We just set-up appointments for both of our cars at the fire dept and watch the inspector do it. At first we just did his and thought he would then be able to show me how to do mine, but our cars and seat bases were too different (even though they go to the same seat).

• Options
    I was afraid of this, so we just brought the entire carseat still wrapped in plastic from the box. It took them prob 2 minutes & we had it installed.
    DS1- Jan 2011
    DS2- Sept 2012
    M/C- Sept 2011

2u2!
  • Options
    imageFergie+1:

I made DH install the carseat on Monday, then we took it to be inspected... what a fiasco! That man was so upset by the time he finished... you'd think it was rocket sceince. All the way to the fire dept. he b!tched about it being the biggest carseat on the market and why didn't we get one instead of the 'smaller' ones (he meant a booster seat!!) like his nephew had 15 years ago... Me explaining that safety standards have changed a lot and that our carseat is NORMAL-sized only made him more angry.

Then, when the fire chief inspected it and showed DH the LATCH system, and repeated everything I'd said, DH was peaches'n'cream.

Glad I insisted on having it inspected, but seriously... ::headdesk::

I am so glad im not the only one who has a DH that complained about it being inspected! I couldnt believe my DH and I had an argument about getting it inspected... I think it's a man's ego thing....

Dear husband, no, its not to show that you installed it "wrong"....

its to make sure our LOVE AND JOY is SAFE in case of an accident! duh!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"