Working Moms

feeling bad about dc gifts, is small add'l gift weird?

ok so I got their 3 main teachers $25 g.c's to target. I thought this seemed like an appropriate amount and then after we gave them I saw a post on here that said $30-$50 per teacher was recommended by the gift giving advice ppl or whatever. Now I'm totally guilt stricken that we cheaped out on them or something, I really didn't know how much was appropriate....UGH.

so I didn't give them photo xmas cards from us b/c I had them printed so late & had to have them shipped to my mom where we were traveling for xmas and I wanted to give them one of the cards anyway, and was thinking maybe something small w/ the card... but none are coffee drinkers so g.c. to starbucks is out (even though there is other stuff there I know) and I just don't know what other smallish $10 things you could do! (barnes & noble...but you can't get a book for only $10, maybe $15?)

AHHHHHH. am i stressing over nothing? I wish I knew someone at DC I could've asked. I have no clue what others gave them.

Re: feeling bad about dc gifts, is small add'l gift weird?

• Don't be silly - I think your gift sounds great and I wouldn't give a 2nd thought.

I think it would be much weirder at this point to give them another smaller thing just because of what you read on a message board!  Remember their birthdays, teacher appreciation week, etc. are all coming up, so you will have other opportunities to do something. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • stop stressing.  Give them each the card explaining they weren't printed until late but wanted to give them one.  If you still feel like you want to give a little something extra, wait and give a small Easter present or Valentine's day or something like that.  You'll have plenty of time.  And think about restaurant GCs -- fast food places (Wendy's, Subway, etc.) or places like Panera, Paradise Bakery, PF Chang's, etc. so it is like a lunch on you.

ETA:  and as for the amount, that's fine.  I'll guaranty you that they likely got less from some and more from others.  It'll probably be all over the map.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Loading the player...
  • imagePesky:

stop stressing.  Give them each the card explaining they weren't printed until late but wanted to give them one.  If you still feel like you want to give a little something extra, wait and give a small Easter present or Valentine's day or something like that.  You'll have plenty of time.  And think about restaurant GCs -- fast food places (Wendy's, Subway, etc.) or places like Panera, Paradise Bakery, PF Chang's, etc. so it is like a lunch on you.

ETA:  and as for the amount, that's fine.  I'll guaranty you that they likely got less from some and more from others.  It'll probably be all over the map.

Thank you both for talking me down ;). OMG i love the panera idea since there is one like 2 min from DC for a future small gift like V-day. Thank you!

(PS do you guys actually know when DC teachers bdays are? I have no idea...) 

• imagegroovygrl:

(PS do you guys actually know when DC teachers bdays are? I have no idea...) 

Nope.  I usually find out about the same day as they post a happy bday sign.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the front desk would tell you that info though for any gift planning.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• I think you are listening to people are here too much.  I don't know anyone that spends more than around $25 on teachers gifts, most spend less if they do anything at all.  I would leave it as is and not worry.  Sorry, but I could not imagine spending $50 per teacher on holiday gifts.  I do nice things for the teachers throughout the year.  I typically bring in candy or something for Valentine's day and sometimes Halloween.  When my older DD left to move onto her PreK program, I brought in small gifts for her teachers.  If you really feel bad, I would not do anything now but bring in something around Valentine's Day.  Spread it out throughout the year.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • imagejlw2505:
    I think you are listening to people are here too much.  I don't know anyone that spends more than around $25 on teachers gifts, most spend less if they do anything at all.  I would leave it as is and not worry.  Sorry, but I could not imagine spending $50 per teacher on holiday gifts.  I do nice things for the teachers throughout the year.  I typically bring in candy or something for Valentine's day and sometimes Halloween.  When my older DD left to move onto her PreK program, I brought in small gifts for her teachers.  If you really feel bad, I would not do anything now but bring in something around Valentine's Day.  Spread it out throughout the year.

just in my own defense I don't listen to ppl on here too much but it was posted that on good morning america there was a guest who said the 30-50 thing...doesn't make it 'right' but it wasn't just random ppl on a message board but someone who was supposed to 'know' the typical practice, at least that is what I was thinking.... :)

happy new year everyone! 

• I can guarantee you, your child care provider is grateful for any gift (which is unexpected and unnecessary!) that you give them. Don't worry about amounts or compare your gifts to others. That saying that it's the thought that counts is especially true for child care providers. As someone who works in child care for a national provider, I can tell you what counts for teachers. Parents who are appreciative (not with gifts, with words and actions) of what we do, parents who talk to us about their child's day, parents who want to help us be better providers for their child. It's not about the gifts, it's about the relationship you build together. Stop worrying about gifts! Be happy that you have a place that you are happy with.
  • imageKAtwinmom:
    I can guarantee you, your child care provider is grateful for any gift (which is unexpected and unnecessary!) that you give them. Don't worry about amounts or compare your gifts to others. That saying that it's the thought that counts is especially true for child care providers. As someone who works in child care for a national provider, I can tell you what counts for teachers. Parents who are appreciative (not with gifts, with words and actions) of what we do, parents who talk to us about their child's day, parents who want to help us be better providers for their child. It's not about the gifts, it's about the relationship you build together. Stop worrying about gifts! Be happy that you have a place that you are happy with.

you bring up something we've always wondered about- parents talking to the teachers abotu the kids.... MH drops off & I pick up & we have alwyas talked (maybe excessively?) to the teachers about our kids- their behavior at home as well as in school and I try to do some chit chat too if I know something about the teachers' lives... but we have noticed there are many parents who just drop the kid off & pick the kid up & barely even ask how their day was (moreso the dads but some of the moms too)... is this the norm? 

• Don't feel bad.  Your original gift was totally appropriate.
  • imagegroovygrl:

imageKAtwinmom:
    I can guarantee you, your child care provider is grateful for any gift (which is unexpected and unnecessary!) that you give them. Don't worry about amounts or compare your gifts to others. That saying that it's the thought that counts is especially true for child care providers. As someone who works in child care for a national provider, I can tell you what counts for teachers. Parents who are appreciative (not with gifts, with words and actions) of what we do, parents who talk to us about their child's day, parents who want to help us be better providers for their child. It's not about the gifts, it's about the relationship you build together. Stop worrying about gifts! Be happy that you have a place that you are happy with.

you bring up something we've always wondered about- parents talking to the teachers abotu the kids.... MH drops off & I pick up & we have alwyas talked (maybe excessively?) to the teachers about our kids- their behavior at home as well as in school and I try to do some chit chat too if I know something about the teachers' lives... but we have noticed there are many parents who just drop the kid off & pick the kid up & barely even ask how their day was (moreso the dads but some of the moms too)... is this the norm? 

We chat with them when needed, if there is something that needs to be discussed.  Other than that, they are usually caring for other children when we pick up and I don't like to be a distraction.

• imagegroovygrl:

imageKAtwinmom:

I do drop-off and I end up talking to DD #1's teacher for a few minutes, depending on what's going on in the classroom.  I don't talk very long to DD #2's teacher other than a little small talk and filling her in on DD's morning.  I think it's important to have a good relationship with the teachers, which includes asking them how their day is, etc.  (of course, without being a distraction or taking them away from the other kids).

OP: my heart goes out to you!  Please don't feel bad AT ALL about a $25 gift.  That's what we did, too.  I know how it can be so stressful, though, especially when you hear all this stuff about what the "suggested" price range is (as they did on the Today show).  I think it's so easy to get caught up in all of that, I think we're all guilty of that at some point. 

• HUGS...I am the same way so I know how you feel....but honestly, your gifts sound just perfect. Don't worry about adding another gift at all.

What you could do is put a recurring entry on your calendar...say, every 12 weeks or whatever you can afford to do something nice for the teacher(s). It could be really small, like some cupcakes, muffins...or a very small gift card etc. Are their birthdays posted at the DC? If not, you could just casually ask the teachers themselves for their birthdays. Also, as you get to know the teachers and talk to them more, you might get good ideas of little things (food, stores, hobbies etc) to help you with gift planning.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"