Preemies

17P progesterone shots for 2nd pg?

Hi -

I'm mostly a lurker, but had a late preterm preemie in '08, I went into PTL just before 34 weeks for unknown reasons.  I'm expecting #2 in June '11, at my 17 week appt today, my OB is having me start 17P progesterone shots to prevent PTL this time.  It's a weekly injection I'll receive until 36 weeks.

I'm wondering if any preemie moms here have had experience w/ these shots?  Side effects?  Did they work for you?

TIA!

Lilypie - (vulX)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: 17P progesterone shots for 2nd pg?

• My first pregnancy, DS was born at 33 weeks 0 days when my water broke out of the blue (May 2007).  For my 2nd pregnancy, I started p17 shots at about 13 weeks and had them until 35 weeks.  I still had tons of contracting the whole pregnancy.  I ended up being induced at 39 weeks 4 days, so yeah, they worked! No side effects...big tip for the shots - ice the injection site for about 5 minutes ahead of time and the shots won't even hurt :)  
  • Thanks for the tip and great to hear that the shots worked! 

Lilypie - (vulX)

• Loading the player...
  • DS was born at 33w6d for unknown reasons as well. I had the 17p shots with DD from week 16 to week 36 and she was born at 39weeks. So yes they worked for me. I did not have any side effects.

Tip: Try laying down to have the shots if possible. Not sure why but it hurt less when I was laying down instead of standing up. I had to switch OBs in the middle of my pregnancy because we moved. My 1st OB always had me stand but the other on had me lay on the table/bed and it was not as bad.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I started them at 16 weeks. I'm having a lot of cramping and contractions, but I'm still pregnant :) The only side effects that I had was an increase in my heart rate and fatigue. The first two weeks, I felt like my heart was going to pound out of my chest afterwards, but that's gone away. Now, I'm just a little more tired for about a day after I do the injection.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD was born at 35 weeks due to pPROM.  I had cervix issues (shortening, funneling).

I went on 17P from 16w-36w when pregnant with my son.  My cervix did much better.  I ended up having a healthy, full-term baby at 39w4d.  I would have gone longer (probably past my due date) but was induced for a number of reasons. 

• Thanks for sharing your experiences - it seems they have worked and w/ minimal side effects.  My OB said I'll probably experience soreness at the injection site (he mentioned it's a thicker shot) and additional fatigue...small prices to pay if it works!

Thanks again!

Lilypie - (vulX)

• I could have written your exact post, I had DD at 34 weeks for no obvious reason. I have been on the 17P shot since 16 weeks (i think) and so far no side effects and they are not bad. DH gives them to me in my side/hip area. As long as he puts the needle in fast it does not hurt. The tip the nurse gave us was to blow on the injection site while he injects it...it seems to distract me from the slight burning sensation of the fluid going in. Every once in awhile the injection site will be sore for a few days or have a lump but nothing too uncomfortable. I'm at 26 weeks so I still have a ways to go but so far so good.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I start mine Monday. I'm scared, but I'm a huge wimp.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"