July 2011 Moms

Anyone else feel awkward making pregnancy "announcement"?

DH and I decided we're ready to tell people after our 12 week NT Scan went well yesterday. But, it just feels awkward to "announce" to people in a group setting. Last night, I had a girls' night to celebrate a friend's birthday and figured I might tell everyone then. A couple of the girls are close friends and already know, but 2 or 3 didn't know...we're friends, but not really close. Well, I was the only one who didn't order a drink and then passed my shot to the birthday girl when someone bought everyone shots, so it might be obvious, but I just couldn't bring myself to make the "announcement." I'm very excited, so that's not it, but it just feels awkward to me. Especially with people I'm not that close to. It feels weird to get everyone's attention at the table and be like "Oh, I'm pregnant." I feel the same way about facebook. I kinda feel like I'll call the people I'm really close to and then just let everyone else figure it out. I think I'll just tell my friends and family that they're free to spread the news and that will hopefully take care of it. Anyone else feel awkward about it?

DD1 June 2011
DD2 Due January 2015

Re: Anyone else feel awkward making pregnancy "announcement"?

• Yes.

MIL made it a huge announcement at a party Xmas night. And while the reactions where good, it was uncomfortable.

I feel like I'm just running around yelling 'LOOK AT MEEEEE!!'. Don't get me wrong I am SO excited, but it just feels weird. Especially after we told FIL's side and only 2 people seemed to even give a sh!t.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes! I'm really dreading telling my boss. I know he'll be happy for me, but I just can't picture how to tell him.

I'm sending out New Years cards next week with "Happy New Year, Love DH, ME & Baby" This will spill the beans to those that I don't call/see often but that I want to find out some way other than FB.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Big time. I told my family mostly one on one, but then we had Christmas dinner with the extended IL family and DH wanted me to tell everyone while they were toasting and I couldn't make myself do it, so he did. It's SO awkward even when it's planned, and everybody knows you hoped for it. I'd be just as happy to let some people figure it out when they see me either hugely pregnant or holding an infant.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • You're not alone. :) We're THRILLED about this pregnancy, but the thought of everyone looking at me while we make an announcement just scares me. I had my husband tell people at my ILs xmas party (MIL suggested an announcement and I said NO way.) 

It's no big deal, but I understand where you're coming from. Every time we get ready to tell someone my heart starts beating really hard, lol.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagelizzay:

Yes.

MIL made it a huge announcement at a party Xmas night. And while the reactions where good, it was uncomfortable.

I feel like I'm just running around yelling 'LOOK AT MEEEEE!!'. Don't get me wrong I am SO excited, but it just feels weird. Especially after we told FIL's side and only 2 people seemed to even give a sh!t.

That's how I feel too...like I'm trying to draw attention to myself, which I'm not! I bet that was especially awkward when no one even acted like they care. I am definitely thinking of just letting some people figure it out on their own when I am as big as a house. Too many people get pleasure out of knowing other people's business, so I kinda enjoy not giving them the pleasure of knowing all of mine. :)

DD1 June 2011
    DD2 Due January 2015
  • Absolutely!!  I only have a few people that I really WANT to tell - parents, siblings, grandparents, and best friends.  The rest can find out through the grapevine for all I care.  I don't like attention - I also feel it's weird to pick up the phone and call random family members (who I never call) just to say I'm pregnant.

For work, I've already decided that I am just going to cop-out and send and email to my team (about 7 people).  I plan on the email containing answers to the "common" questions - when I'm due, how I've been feeling, that we're finding out the sex, etc.  This way, I only have to say it once at work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I feel the same way.  I told my boss, and the closest co-workers.  Slowly telling others at my firm.  Its just awkward, cause a lot of them just look at you and say "oh".  Like, what did you do that for? 

I haven't put anything on FB nor has DH, I think his reasons might be different than mine, but I haven't just becasue I haven't been ready too.  I have some friends that are prego or just had a baby, and they waited till like 6 months to post it.  So maybe I will just wait as long as I can.  The only issue, my few close friends that do know, post things occasionally, that could give it away.  (I deleted some of the really obvious ones!!!  I told them I haven't told, and this won't be the way I will tell)

I guess I thought people would be more excited than they are...they aren't.  I work with a lot of men and a lot of our friends and social network are working professionals that don't want kids.  So its awkward.   

• imagedowntown80:

Absolutely!!  I only have a few people that I really WANT to tell - parents, siblings, grandparents, and best friends.  The rest can find out through the grapevine for all I care.  I don't like attention - I also feel it's weird to pick up the phone and call random family members (who I never call) just to say I'm pregnant.

For work, I've already decided that I am just going to cop-out and send and email to my team (about 7 people).  I plan on the email containing answers to the "common" questions - when I'm due, how I've been feeling, that we're finding out the sex, etc.  This way, I only have to say it once at work.

Oh I love the idea of telling people at work by email. I was the girl who used to break up with people by email in high school and collegeEmbarrassed.Guess I'm overly non-confrontational. I don't know that I could get away with a work email though...it's a small office and my boss gets so many emails that some get lost in the mix and she nevers sees them. Unfortunately, I don't think I can go that route, but man was I tempted when I read your post. Great idea!

DD1 June 2011
    DD2 Due January 2015
  • It's silly, but I felt really weird announcing to my family. Instead of saying "I'm pregnant" it felt like I was saying "DH and I had SEX!" to my dad, grandma, etc. Crazy, I know.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    My little firecracker. Born on her due date,7/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker MarriedBio
  • I totally feel the same way. I hate being the center of attention. It's so awkward. Like at my bridal shower and my wedding. Although on my wedding day I didn't pay much attention to it because I was so happy and I was focused on my DH. I hate people looking at me, congratulating me, etc. My in-laws spent Christmas here and they wanted to announce to everyone, but I refused to do it and made DH talk to everyone on the phone (his family lives in Ecuador and California, so we called them all). MIL acted annoyed that I wouldn't talk to anyone on the phone, but I was too embarrassed. It's just so personal. Same with FB. I will just let people figure it out when I am fat or when I start posting baby pics. Ha ha ha....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have yet to utter the words "I'm pregnant"  I gave MIL a framed u/s pic for xmas, so she told all of DH's family for me. DH and MIL both kept calling people over and saying that I had something to tell them (so annoying) but I refused to be put on the spot like that. I'm giving my mother and father both framed u/s pics for christmas when I see them tomorrow, so they can tell the rest of my family. I hate being the center of attention, I hated it when I got married, and I hate it now.  Mostly I hate how my MILs hands went straight to my muffin top as soon as she knew....
    imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We had fun announcing it to our parents, and two out of the three were in group setting with extended family, but it was really awkward telling everyone at my Grandma's when my immediate family already knew. I just wanted people to just start spreading the news, but my Mom wanted us to announce it.
    Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• I hate having attention on me.  I am excited for people to know so I don't feel like I have this secret.  But I am not excited to tell them and have everyone looking at me and reacting.
    Mom to Alex - 8.29.06, Foster - 1.22.09, Emily - 6.24.11 imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have 2 family parties the weekend after our NT scan (in 2 weeks) so it would be ideal for us to announce then if all goes well, but I couldn't even get the words out to my IL's when we told them on Christmas, I made DH do it! I think I'll pull my grandma aside an tell her (since one of the parties is her b-day), then let the news spread.
    BFP 11/14/10 after 16 cycles!
  • OMG yes! For some reason just saying "I'm pregnant" to people is awkward for me, idk why. We just showed the U/S picture to people and let them figure it out on their own. I have yet to announce it to anyone but parents and siblings. Plan on telling one of my good friends today and then waiting and telling everyone else after my appointment on the 7th. I don't know why its so awkward, haha.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That is part of the reason I decided to do the picture thing with my friends.  I figure DH taking a picture of me with my 4 closest friends at a party and saying "L is pregnant" on the count of 3, is a lot less awkward than making everyone be quiet and saying that. 

I feel kind of weird calling my aunts/uncles just to tell them that, but I don't want them finding via FB, and we can only keep our walls locked for just so long.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• I felt like everyone was staring at me as well at family Christmas get togethers!  I didnt announce it to everyone but news travels fast in my family. 

I told my boss about my pregnancy a few weeks ago.  I am a 2nd grade teacher and have a really stern military principal who intimidates me to no end. So after my post observation meeting I decided to throw my pregnancy into the meeting!  I ended up crying (i thought he would look down on me since its my first year, and I'm "new" to the school).  He was really positive and supportive!  He is really understanding as well.... I ended up needing an emergency appointment on the last day of school before break.  He called, got me a sub, and made me go home.  He told my 2nd grade team to have plans for the sub but that my health was more important than being at school for the assembly and Christmas parties.  It wasnt the reaction I expected from him, but I welcomed it! 

I am not the only pregnant teacher in my building.... and news traveled fast about both of our pregnancies throughout the building!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • imagecaliforniaborn:
    It's silly, but I felt really weird announcing to my family. Instead of saying "I'm pregnant" it felt like I was saying "DH and I had SEX!" to my dad, grandma, etc. Crazy, I know.

OMG This! Plus, DH loves to tell people how cute he thought it was that I was charting and how I knew just when to "get to work". So sweet that he is excited, so embarrassing when he tells people!

• For #1 I told my parents while down at my cousin's wedding. The wedding night (towards the end) I told my cousin and bride as we left early since i was so tired. The next night the whole family (2 aunts, 4 cousins and my family) were out to dinner and I had no idea what to say, so I leaned over to my very animated aunt and whispered "I want to tell everyone I'm pregnant but I don't know how" lol. She was shocked and made the announcement for me, which was great.

For work, I had my u/s pics and went to my boss and said "I'm not sure how to say this" and handed the paper to him and he thought it was my 2 weeks notice! hahaha that broke the ice!

For this one I just told a few people at our work xmas party and am letting news spread itself. As for family, I sent out cute xmas cards that announced it for us. And for FB, I don't feel comfortable making a big thing so if people post on my wall fine and it will spread that way.

• imagecaliforniaborn:
    It's silly, but I felt really weird announcing to my family. Instead of saying "I'm pregnant" it felt like I was saying "DH and I had SEX!" to my dad, grandma, etc. Crazy, I know.

This!!  When I told my best friend she literally said something along the lines of my DH having great sperm.  Ick.

• imagecaliforniaborn:

Haha. This exactly. It was awkward at first but It's so nice to be "out".

I really did feel like I was saying "I'm having a baby, you know what DH and I had to do  to get this don't you" *wink wink* Or like I was saying "WE HAD UNPROTECTED SEX!!!" LMAO!

Just weird.

• We told both of our parents, (I didnt even have to tell my mom, she guessed it before I got a chance to tell her, around 5 weeks).  Around 10 weeks we told them they could tell whoever they wanted so we avoided a big announcement that way.
  • I have a big family and news has traveled fast! We were hoping (having asked) that our parents could keep it in until our NT scan in 2 weeks, but I guess they were bursting. I just don't like when my MIL pushes us to tell people. Her thought is, "you don't want them to find out second hand" Honestly, there are some people who I would rather did find out second hand.

But for the people that we do want to tell first hand, we have had a lot of fun with it. Yesterday, our friends' jaws dropped as DH announced over sushi "K won't be eating a lot of fish today because she's pregnant". And with our parents we played a game of hangman...the looks on their faces were priceless.

• wow, this is like I'm reading my own story! We had our NT yesterday and everything was fine so I sent out a mass email to all important people because I feel like it's weird to call everyone and say "Hi, I'm pregnant! (But I've got to go cause I gotta call 50 other people)". Then today at work I showed my boss the u/s pic and she pretty much announced it to everyone (pretty humiliating) but at least it's over with now.

P.S. I love your pic of your Boston's, I have 2 also - one which desperately needs to be potty trained before baby gets here (she's 18 months and extremely stubborn)

• 12-30-2010 at 1:52 PM
    Not Ranked
    Joined on 09-21-2004
    atlanta
    12,313 Points
    Bronze

Re: Anyone else feel awkward making pregnancy "announcement"?

I have yet to utter the words "I'm pregnant"  I gave MIL a framed u/s pic for xmas, so she told all of DH's family for me. DH and MIL both kept calling people over and saying that I had something to tell them (so annoying) but I refused to be put on the spot like that. I'm giving my mother and father both framed u/s pics for christmas when I see them tomorrow, so they can tell the rest of my family. I hate being the center of attention, I hated it when I got married, and I hate it now.  Mostly I hate how my MILs hands went straight to my muffin top as soon as she knew....

wow, this is like I'm reading my own story! We had our NT yesterday and everything was fine so I sent out a mass email to all important people because I feel like it's weird to call everyone and say "Hi, I'm pregnant! (But I've got to go cause I gotta call 50 other people)". Then today at work I showed my boss the u/s pic and she pretty much announced it to everyone (pretty humiliating) but at least it's over with now.

P.S. I love your pic of your Boston's, I have 2 also - one which desperately needs to be potty trained before baby gets here (she's 18 months and extremely stubborn)

• We don't live near family so we told most people over the phone and FB.  The most awkward/funny response we got was from a family member who's congratulatory voicemail included something along the lines of "It must've happened in the state of X or X!" b/c we recently moved out of state.  Our faces were like this --> Tongue Tied
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"