Special Needs
Options

Gross motor delays- sleep issues

My girls have always been terrible sleepers but one of mine is going thru an awful phase. Shes up and down screaming all night. She has low tone and is just starting to walk. I think something affecting her sleep (aside from her crazy attachment to me) is that she just learned to sit up in her crib. The minute I put her in, she pops up and calls for me. She does this all nite. She knows how to get herself down but doesnt. I try to walk in, lie her down and leave but its a vicious cycle, I guess moms of 6 month olds have gone thru this. Its tough with a stubborn 2 year old. Any advice? I havent slept more than 2 hours in weeks. Thanks

Re: Gross motor delays- sleep issues

• Options

Ugh- that sounds like a nightmare! Maybe she is needing to eat more, now that she is moving more. Our LO is recently awakening during the night, and several times what finally placated him after several hours of attempted bottles, diaper changes, rocking and crying it out was a yogurt, of all things.

Sorry I don't have any better advice! Hang in there!! 

• Options

Ugghh!  Lack of sleep is no fun--my heart goes out to you!  LA was younger (about 14ish months) when she learned to pull herself up in her crib, but couldn't get down and would just cry and cry.  I was able to go in, avoiding eye contact and lay her back down.  Sounds like you have tried that and it isn't helping :(  If you just let her cry, how long would she go for?  LA went through a sleep boycott last week and we tried calming her but it just kept getting worse.  We finally resolved to just let her CIO and it has really improved.  The first night was the worst though.

I hope someone has some great advice for you!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh, man - sleepless nights are the worst!

The good thing is that she is developing GM skills. Sitting up is huge! It is kids of scary too, so I get why she is not sleeping :) My very few suggestions are (I am not a physician, so take it for what it is :):

1. Practice getting up and lying down in her crib when she is awake during the day. This way her body will 'know' what to do. Lots of practice: up-down, up- down.

2. Leave some light on at night - maybe she is afraid and cannot figure out where to lie back down.

3. Melatonin.

4. Pillows. Can she roll over and turn her head? If so, you may want to put a soft standard pillow in her bed to gently restrick her motions at night.

5. Look into medical issues that may wake her up (and sitting up is just a manifestation): cutting back teeth? gastrointestinal issues?

GL!!!

• Options

CIO that PP posted is a good idea, but only if she does not have seizure activity.

Also - since she is so attached to you, you may want to give her your tshirt ( I wore a tshirt for 3 days without washing it and gave it to my son; disgusting  as it was he really calmed down when he had it)

• Options
    thanks for all the ideas....it wouldnt be hard to find a dirty shirt to give her since my clothes and self are filthy these days. Whats melatonin?
  • Options

Why, Melatonin is N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine :)

It is a natural remedy that induces sleep. It will make her a bit sleepy and hopefully, once she is out, she will stay asleep. Very gentle, I give it to my 2 y.o. too.

Here is more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

It is also cheap :) Was recommended by an MD, you can buy it anywhere.

• Options

Why, Melatonin is N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine :)

It is a natural remedy that induces sleep. It will make her a bit sleepy and hopefully, once she is out, she will stay asleep. Very gentle, I give it to my 2 y.o. too.

Here is more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

It is also cheap :) Was recommended by an MD, you can buy it anywhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"