Upstate NY Babies

Anyone watch Extreme Couponing? WOW!

Those people are beyond extreme!  DH and I were shocked.  

Re: Anyone watch Extreme Couponing? WOW!

• no.  that show would irritate me.  I see it everyday of people just buying crap they don't need just b/c it is free.  I had an employee like that and I guess her house was just overstuffed with crap. 
  • I only watched the 1st "story" and DVR'ed the rest but you're right... wow. I'm kinda torn. Part of me thinks it's awesome that these people can "beat the system" and get all that free stuff but part of me thinks they're just hoarders who need serious help. There's no way you could use all that stuff before it goes bad. We keep like 3 boxes of cereal here and one always goes stale, lol.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree - some of the things they are stocking up on would definitely go stale before we used it all.  I didn't like how the first lady's couponing seemed to be impacting her marriage so much.  Through the whole thing, I kept telling my husband how if I were able to do that, we'd be able to donate so much to the food banks and shelters.  I was glad to see the last guy donate all that cereal.  I don't expect to ever be that crazy with it...we wouldn't have room to stockpile so much...but I did like the 2nd lady's binder so I think I may start a binder instead of my regular coupon divider.
  • Like every other "reality" show, it was a huge set up.  I coupon, so I know the rules.  First of all, almost every store has a 4 coupon limit, meaning you can only use four similar item coupons per transaction.  So no, you couldn't buy 1100 boxes of cereal and use 1100 coupons, you could use FOUR.  This includes the stores shopped at for this episode, these transactions were worked out with the stores in advance for the sake of the show.  Also, if something is a good sale with a good coupon = free or close to free, it is always sold out.  Stores never have so many in stock that you could fill carts and carts, I know Nathan Eagle pre-ordered the Total cereal but it was for the sake of the show.  In fact all the transactions were preordered. 

I actually follow Joanie's blog The Krazy Coupon Lady.  She doesn't really get into dumpsters!  It was all for the sake of the show.  And they weren't garbage dumpsters, they were the newpaper only bins at a local recycling center and she had permission to be there.  They don't say or show it on the episode, but all the purchases made for the show were donated to food pantries.  You can see Joanie's trip to the food pantry on her FB page.  You can also check out the third couponer's FB page, Coupon Diva.  I don't know a thing about the first lady, didn't even see that whole segmant.  Nathan Eagle is a frequent poster on weusecoupons.com, I don't know if he has a site or blog.  But rumor has it, he hold garage sales out of his garage to make $$ off his stock, I dunno if that is true or now.  I am sure TLC made them all sign contracts about what they can and cannot say about the details of the taping.

I still think it is crazy to buy more food than you will use in 3 months or toiletries than you will use in a year.  I do occassionally buy things I don't need.  Lately, it has been Similac formula.  Because of the coupons and sales, I have been getting the premixed bottles for FREE sometimes even a moneymaker.  Drives my DH nutz when I come home with another bottle ( 1 per trip) BUT we have 3 nephews and 1 niece on the way and if any of them need formula, our siblings will be more than happy to get them!  Or, any food pantry.  I promise they will not go to waste.

• Yes! We were randomly flipping and found it. DH and I were both disgusted. They can still shop and get "free" things and "beat the system" and buy what they need. That over buying is a huge issue and such a waste. There is no way anyone esp the lady who seemed to be single could use all of those items. I think hoarding regardless of the items or if it's stored in a pretty manner is a good thing. Besides the fact that most of the "food" they were buying was processed crap. I much rather spend money on wholesome food then "beat the system" and eat food that is not healthy for me. Look at the size of most of those people.....it speaks to their "free" food.

I did however like the last guy a bit more. He seems to have a better system like when he bought toilet paper and didn't need to buy anymore for a year or something. He seems that he stops at times. I also liked how he donates to food banks. The mom who had her KID dumpster diving....just no. I get for some people there is that need but that was clearly a option not a need. I thought that her hoarding and compulsive couponing is a horrible habit/trait to teach her son.

My thought is that food banks need to hire people like this....imagine how many people these coupon shopping hoarders could help and then in turn maybe it would be a self medicating thing. They could still get their rush but for helping others and not just themselves?

Took 2 years & 8 months to make our baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"