Postpartum Depression

(New here) Baby blues or PPD?

I just had my precious baby boy last Wednesday.  He's so amazing and I love him dearly.  I'm not having any bad thoughts about him or anything, but what I'm feeling is more like...I'm lonely.  My husband has been home for a week from work, and has another week left, but we don't talk much.  He helps me with the baby more than I could ask for and is doing such an amazing job taking care of me and the house because I had a c-section.  During down time when LO is sleeping, he's usually playing computer games and I'm just watching TV.

What I'm feeling isn't resentment or anything.  I just feel lonely and isolated.  I don't think it's full blown PPD, but probably the baby blues?  I don't know.  Maybe I'm just hormonal.  I cry at the any moment and I feel bad about it.  My husband is trying to understand, and even though he'll cuddle with me and hold me, I still feel lonely.  I don't know what's wrong with me!!

Re: (New here) Baby blues or PPD?

• At this point, it is my UNPROFESSIONAL opinion that it's just the baby blues.  I remember still being in the hospital (I had to be re-hospitalized due to a kidney infection) about a week after LO was born watching something on TV bawling.  For no reason.  The nurse walked in and asked what was wrong.  I couldn't tell her.  There was nothing really wrong.  I was just crying.  I think at this stage it's normal. 

This was my experience with PPD - however, I know everyone is different.  I felt like my life was spinning out of control and all I could do was hang on for dear life.  I started experiencing symptoms when I weaned from BF'ing.  My son was almost 7 months old.  I cried ALL. THE . TIME.  I couldn't stop.  I would cry for hours on end.  I would pick fights with people I loved.  Especially my DH and my mom.  I stopped going out places that I loved to go.  I stopped calling my friends back home.  I became anti-social.  I nearly stopped eating, and I rarely showered.  (Gross, I know).  The point is, I didn't care about anything anymore.  I was angry about everything and at everyone (except LO - he was the only good thing in my life).

That being said - if you have a history of depression or anxiety, I would call your Dr.  PPD can start early.  I was diagnosed with PPD/PPA.  It is always better to let a professional diagnose you.  GL to you.  No matter what, you can always vent and let loose on this board!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think doctors will even diagnose PPD until several weeks PP. Usually PPD is defined as depression with an onset between 2-12 months PP, whereas the baby blues are a result of hormonal changes immediately after giving birth.

I know I cried every night like clockwork for 3 weeks after having my baby. Then it stopped.  I've been fine for the last two months, except int eh last day or two, I've been exhausted, not eating, and sad. The baby blues didn't worry me, but this new thing does.

Just keep an eye on how you feel, see if you can get some friends or family in to help you -- the first month or so with a new baby is nearly impossible! -- and make sure you get rest or get out. Maybe there's a new mom's group nearby where you can go and interact with people I took a breastfeeding class and that helped a lot.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"