North Dakota Babies

birthday baptism blowout?

We are horrible parents who haven't baptized our heathen child yet. I finally got around to checking in with our parish to get things rolling and Feb is the only real time we are going to be able to get this done, or we will have to wait until May. My dad really wants this done yesterday and since he's got cancer he gets what he wants. DH's dad is just as eager and has already offered to rent out his yacht club and have it catered. However everyone we would invite to a party of that scale, we would invite to her baptism, and I was planning on doing a decent size birthday after giving it some thought. I kind of feel its gift grabby to do 2 major parties for a child in  month.

So my question is do you think it's weird to do a Baptism/Birthday party? I was thinking we could do a gold, pink brown theme with lots of flowers and but I worried about a cake smash being too much. WDYT?

K+S 9.18.9 | DD #1 age 2 | PG # 5 EDD 9.17.12

Re: birthday baptism blowout?

• As someone who is not at all familiar with baptism etiquette, I think it sounds like a fantastic idea. They are both celebrations, and it would mean people would only have to attend one event. It seems like if there were two things to attend, some people would come to one or the other, but if there is only one hopefully everyone would be able to attend.
  • we haven't baptized Gavin yet either....is that why he's such a holy terror?  lol  

(oh, and I think it sounds like a great idea!) 

• Loading the player...
  • imageWendells:

we haven't baptized Gavin yet either....is that why he's such a holy terror?  lol  

At least he's a holy terror.

I think it's a great idea, Krissie!  If I could have combined mine with something else, I totally would have.  I'll do anything to minimize on the thank you notes.  I was already a cheap skate by putting my baptism thank yous in the same envelope with my Christmas cards to save on postage.

• I think is a great idea to combine them.
    image   image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think that sounds great!

I did a brown pink & white theme for Lil Miss' baptism, so I really like your color choices. Yes

We didn't keep Lil Miss in her Baptism gown for the party.  After most of the guests arrived, we changed her outfit in to something more comfortable, but still white.  That worked really well becasue the Godparents bought the gown and my mom bought the 'party' outfit, so no one felt left out.  So I think you could still do a smash cake, though at hall, I'd probably limit it to a cupcake, to make cleanup easier.

• I think combining them is fine! And I bet people will actually be grateful that you're combining them so they don't feel like they have to go to two parties in the same month, and figure out two gifts. I was raised Catholic and every time I'm invited to a Baptism I never know what to get.

I also think doing a smash cake (or smash cupcake, like pp said) is a good idea! If she gets into it then it makes for awesome pictures, and a cupcake would make clean-up easier. 

You know I love LOTS of flowers, but I'm a little biased so... lol. But yes, I love your colors and I love the idea of lots of flowers. Sounds like it should be fun for everyone!

• I think that sounds like a perfect solution! As a guest, it would be nice to only have to show up to one place :)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker ashley jordan est. 06.07.08 | siesta key, fl
  • imageWendells:

we haven't baptized Gavin yet either....is that why he's such a holy terror?  lol  

We haven't baptized Caroline yet either.  At this rate I think we might do a joint baptism with the 2 girls.  (My parents are having fits that Caroline isn't baptized.)

• imageWendells:

We haven't baptized Caroline yet either.  At this rate I think we might do a joint baptism with the 2 girls.  (My parents are having fits that Caroline isn't baptized.)

• I was planning on doing the same thing, it didn't work out due to problems with my brother (godfather). But I really see no point in having 2 parties in one month. If it works for you and your family then do it. 
  • I think we're gonna go for it. Thanks for the input ladies :)

K+S 9.18.9 | DD #1 age 2 | PG # 5 EDD 9.17.12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"