North Dakota Babies

First birthday party

What kind of things do people do for a first birthday party?  I expect it to be mostly a family get together, and of course I already have a theme picked out, but I need inspiration from there...

Re: First birthday party

• We had a fairly large party for Soph's 1st -- From here on out we'll just keep it at home with immediate family & my best friend. Well, until she starts school. I imagine that's when all of the kids parties will start.

We had Sophia's party at a local Sprayground Park. We reserved the picnic shelter and invited pretty much our entire family and all of our friends. We had a pretty good turn out and quite a few kids, who all loved the sprayground. We didn't do games or anything like that - All of the adults talked & ate while the kids played in the water. We did lots of cupcakes on cupcake stands from Marshalls/TJ Maxx as well as a special cake for Sophia to "smash". We had pulled pork sandwiches, hamburgers & hot dogs on the grill, queso, etc.

I had things planned such as a Photo Booth and Smores Station -- My backdrop that I got especially for the party wouldn't stay up outside so that didn't happen...and the Smores Station caught on fire. Sooooo, yeah. Those
     ended up being a no go.

Oh yeah, not to mention that we ended up moving the weekend of Soph's party and could never find the special tutu swimsuit I got for Soph special for the party as well a name banner from Etsy that I paid big buck for. Pretty much nothing went right, I was totally stressed, nothing went as planned...but Soph had a blast. So, that's all that matters.

Was this a long enough response for you? Jeesh.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker ashley jordan est. 06.07.08 | siesta key, fl
  • I've started brainstorming for C's first birthday already and am trying to get settled on a theme so I can slowly shop and keep my eye out for stuff throughout the year. Depending on what we do, we will probably have some kind of little kid activity since tons of my friends have kids, and then just a bbq for the adults. We have a big deck and backyard that is great for entertaining so we plan to just have the party at home.
  • Loading the player...
  • We are renting a room in a restaurant & we are inviting about 70 people. (DHs immediate fam is 40 people- so it sounds like alot but really it's just our families & close friends.) I'm not doing anything else fancy- I will save that for later bdays when she can be more cognizant of what's happening.
  • The friend parties start in preschool. We have been invited to 5 birthday parties for 4 year olds this school year. I can't believe it started this early. K will probably have a friend party too since he is begging for one and just family over for his actual birthday. Enjoy having simple parties while you can!
    Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie DS: Born 2007 TTC #2- Diagnosed with secondary infertility, after 18 months and failed IUIs, we achieved success with IVF #1 DD: Born 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"